About Essex Region Conservation
Essex Region Conservation is comprised of a team of passionate and dynamic professionals responsible for the conservation and restoration of our region’s natural resources. As a peninsula surrounded by water, we focus on watershed health through tree planting, restoration, shoreline management, science and research and education and outreach. Located at Canada’s most southern extent, our region is one of the most culturally diverse in North America. Residents of our community enjoy Ontario’s balmiest weather, award winning wineries, and internationally renowned cuisine. Recreational enthusiasts enjoy some of the best fishing and birding in the world. Located along the border, the area also includes major league sports, world-class gaming, big-name stage performances, and international art exhibits.
Position Title: Watershed Engineer
The Watershed Engineer plays a key role on a dynamic, interdisciplinary team with ERCA’s Watershed Management Services. The successful candidate would be responsible for the review of development and regulations applications under ERCA watercourse and shoreline regulations, providing engineering support for surface water modelling and floodplain mapping, and assisting with field operations, including surveys, data compilation, technical plans and reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports ERCA regulations and plan review functions, providing engineering review of applications under the Conservation Authorities Act, Planning Act, Authority Regulations and other applications; and reviews engineering, stormwater, drainage, and water related studies.
- Reviews and comments on stormwater management development proposals for submissions related to municipal planning and section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act.
- Reviews and provides information and comments on hydrologic and hydraulic models related to floodplain mapping, and maintains related files.
- Assists with the co-ordination and development of and updating of natural hazard mapping
- Provides input to ERCA and municipal policies associated with flood and erosion, shoreline, drainage, stormwater/green infrastructure, and land use planning regarding a broad range of engineering and resource management issues based on Provincial Policies and relevant legislation and best practices
- Assists the primary Flood Duty Officer(s) with stream flow measurements, gauge maintenance, data retrieval, data management and reporting, flood forecasting and warning operations and contingency strategies in accordance with Provincial and local service delivery standards
- Assists in the design, tendering, construction and administration of capital works projects
- Prepares reports, technical drawings and maps and carries our field surveys for related projects and activities
- Other related duties and responsibilities consistent with the position as required
- University degree in Water Resources or Environmental Engineering and 3 years related experience.
- Designated as “Professional Engineer” by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) or eligible to be licenced within 12 months of start.
- Knowledge of standard hydrologic and hydraulic modelling packages and understanding of GIS applications related to modelling.
- Knowledge of watershed and shoreline management and planning processes.
- Proven ability in planning, designing, managing and implementing a variety of water resources projects and programs
- Knowledge of Low Impact Design/Green Infrastructure an asset
- Proven organizational and project management skills. Demonstrated proficiency with MS Word, Excel & Outlook at an intermediate level
- Must possess an MTO Class “G” driver’s licence in good standing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Typically M-F 8:30am to 4:30 pm. Evening, weekend and holiday hours may be required
- Hazards and Risks: Provides flood monitoring, which may include working in inclement weather and conditions and exposure to unstable shorelines and riverbanks. There may also be risks associated with inspection of projects related site visits and interactions with the public and contractors.
- Environmental Conditions: Work is primarily performed within a standard office environment, and regularly requires periods of visual and mental concentration of 2 to 4 hours duration, prolonged sitting (and associated physical strain), manual dexterity, accuracy and attention to detail. Occasional site visits, with potential exposure to extreme heat or cold, requiring prolonged standing/walking, negotiation of obstacles, and bending or stooping.
- Attendance at evening meetings (Council and otherwise) and overtime on short notice
Department: Watershed Management Services
Union Affiliation: CUPE Local 3784
Job Status: Permanent, Full Time
Hours of Work: Typically 37.50 hours per week 8:30am to 4:30 p.m.
Posting Added Date: September 14, 2018
Posting Closing Date: September 28, 2018
Posting Closing Time: 4:30 p.m.
Positions to Fill: One (1)
Progress Status: Receiving Applications
Office Location: 360 Fairview Avenue West, Suite 311, Essex, ON N8M 1Y6
Wage Rate: $35.84 – $44.81
Contact: Executive Assistant
360 Fairview Avenue West, Suite 311, ESSEX, ON N8M 1Y6
- ERCA is an equal opportunity employer.
- We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.
- We are pleased to accommodate any individual needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodation throughout the hiring process, please contact HR 519-776-5209 ext 354 to make your needs known in advance.