Developing a Monitoring and Evaluation System for the UNICEF-LIXIL Sanitation Market Shaping Partnership
Goal and Objective:
Goal: Improved access to basic sanitation services in ESAR through innovative public-private UNICEF-LIXIL partnership.
The objective of this consultancy is to develop a robust monitoring and evaluation system for the UNICEF-LIXIL sanitation market shaping partnership to provide information showcasing the progress of partnership, contribute to transparency and accountability in the partnership and support analysis on the extent of achieving the partnership goals and objectives. This is consultancy is covers only the Initiation phase (Phase I), and the Implementation Phase (Phase II) will where the system will be populated with be covered by another consultancy agreement in 2019.
- Provide details/reference to AWP areas covered:
This assignment is directly related to the WASH output and Annual Work Plan Activity 5 – Provide technical support to COs to accelerate access to basic sanitation/hygiene services, and movement up the sanitation/hygiene service ladder (including. Global OD Game plan; market shaping; sustainability) with WBS 240R/A0/10/801/004/008
- Activities and Tasks:
- Finalize the development of monitoring framework and indicators, in collaboration with UNICEF and LIXIL
- Conduct a situation analysis of existing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems in target countries (Kenya, Ethiopia and Tanzania), data sources and the baselines for indicators to measure progress towards implementation of activities as specified in UNICEF - Lixil partnership
- Co-develop data collection tools and agree on methods (HQ, Regional Office, Country).
- Develop mobile and web-based reporting/visualization archtechture for Implementation Phase
- Work relationships:
The consultant will work closely with WASH staff in the regional office and country offices. Where required the consultant would also need to liaise with government staff of line ministries and hygiene and sanitation technical working groups or similar working groups where they exist.
The consultant will work under supervision of the Regional WASH Advisor and in close consultation with the WASH Specialists (for Sanitation and Knowledge Management).
The consultant is expected to deliver:
- Inception report with an outline of the implementation plan, including the final and agreed on monitoring framework, with indicators
- Situation analysis report on M&E systems in target countries, data sources and baseline indicators for propose partnership.
- Report with data collection tools and methodology
- Developed reporting and information architecture/framework, including dashboards.
Payments will be made in two (2) instalments upon completion, submission and revision based on comments from Supervisor at ESARO of deliverables as shown in the table above.
Payment will be made on the acceptance of deliverables by UNICEF. After delivery of each draft, UNICEF is expected to reply to the consultant with comments within one weeks. The report needs to be of publishable quality.
Desired competencies, technical background and experience
- Advanced university degree or equivalent experience in WASH related studies, Information Technology, Geography and other related studies. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the management of spatial and non-spatial databases, preferably with either the UN and/or NGOs
- Ability to develop M&E systems and tools to present information in multiple formats, including mapping tools such as GIS; mobile to web systems, data visualization etc
- Fluency in English (verbal and written).
Administrative issues / Travel
The ESARO WASH section will provide access to information and country level contacts and will be accessible via email or in person throughout the contract period. Progress meetings will take place virtually or face-to-face at least once every month.
The consultant will be expected to provide his/her own office space and equipment, although office space can be provided in ESARO on an ad-hoc basis when required
Tentative travel plans are shown in the table below, subject to revision after the inception phase.