Intern (Resource Watch)
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities.
Internships at WRI provide opportunities for motivated, young professionals to learn from our experts and participate in engaging work at the intersection of environment and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs and offices. We seek interns with diverse backgrounds and who are passionate about the environment to help us make a direct global impact.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
More data are available today than ever before. Yet too often policymakers, business leaders, and analysts cannot access the data they need to make informed decisions about the environment and human well-being. Resource Watch, a dynamic platform that leverages technology, data, and human networks brings transparency about the planet right now. Resource Watch features hundreds of data sets all in one place on the state of the planet’s resources and citizens. Users can visualize challenges facing people and the planet, from climate change to poverty, water risk to state instability, air pollution to human migration, and more. Resource Watch is currently in Beta, and we’re dedicated to growing it and making it stronger every day. This internship opportunity will participate in shaping the development of this Beta site.
This internship is a unique opportunity to learn from one of WRI’s high impact initiatives to improve how we create, publish, visualize, and share data to advance sustainable development. The intern will join a team of highly motivated individuals, including members of WRI’s senior leadership, to support the development and management of Resource Watch, an open, collaborative platform of actionable data. The intern will be expected to learn on the job, and will gain experience with science communication, project management, data analysis and visualization.
The internship will gain experience in the following areas:
- Collecting, cleaning, and uploading large, variable datasets
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative data analysis to support Resource Watch written content, such as blog posts or other written materials
- Identifying compelling content for short, data-driven blogs highlighting how data can inform decision-making
- Creating compelling data visualizations through the Resource Watch visualization tool and custom scripts
- Supporting project development, including liaising with programs and centers across WRI’s offices, creating outreach materials for events, and tracking feedback
- BA/BS in Geography, Environmental Science, Geology or a related field with an interest in sustainable development and natural resources
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative research skills, with the ability to express complex concepts clearly and concisely
- Experience visualizing data to convey new ideas
- Comfort in working in GIS or with a data processing language such as python or R
- A self-motivated learner with a willingness to work effectively under pressure and take on new challenges as required
- Confidence and independence to take initiative, with the awareness and judgement to seek help when needed
General Internship Requirements
- Applicants must have personal health insurance coverage.
- U.S. work authorization is required for this opportunity. WRI does not sponsor interns for visas.
Compensation: This is a paid internship.
Duration: This is a six-month (24 week) internship (September to March).