SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization with long-term, local presence in more than 30 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development across three sectors: Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
SNV’s work is funded by a wide range of national and international donors. Individual SNV countries are responsible to ensure own resource mobilisation in cooperation with the global Business Development Unit that sits at the corporate (Head office) level to coordinate and support lead and prospect development throughout the organisation.
A Water Services Board in Kenya is seeking consultancy services to work alongside County Government and a Water Service Provider to assess and provide strategic reduction of its Non-Revenue Water (NRW) losses, develop a Water Resources and Wastewater Master Plan and a County Quality Monitoring Plan. The project will be delivered by a technically mixed team including expertise from procurement, GIS, SCADA and O&M specialists.
Purpose of the position
The consultant/ proposal writer will take the lead, in the NRW WASH team of SNV Kenya, to develop a compelling, evidence-based proposal for submission to an international institutional donor in early July. The consultant will bring to the proposal design process a thorough understanding of and prior experience in competitive bid-writing for large institutional donors. The consultant will have prior experience in developing technical proposals in the Kenya water supply sector or proven ability to absorb and understand technical input and apply it to new areas of technical understanding.
Specific Tasks to be performed by the Proposal Writer/ Consultant
Building on the approved concept note submitted by SNV, the proposal writer shall manage the entire process of writing the bid/ proposal. Specifically, the proposal writer shall be responsible for the following tasks:
- Guide the individual proposal team members/contributors in preparing their respective sections of the bid/proposal and ensure such contributions are consolidated into a consistent, flowing ‘one-voice’ proposal.
- Work with the SNV technical team to provide inputs to the financial team that will develop the programme budget.
- Support and guide the technical team with key stakeholders in preparing the programme design of the bid/proposal in accordance with the donor guidelines to applicants.
- Guide the integration of expertise from all relevant actors/sectors towards ensuring the preparation of a successful bid,
- Identify existing information gaps necessary for the completion of the proposal and help secure the same to complete the bid.
- Identify any available pre-written content and tailor it to suit the proposal requirements or help in correcting / improving existing technical content/ contributions to make it fit for purpose;
- Ensure clear and common understanding of the instructions for drafting the proposal among the team members, specifically the criteria for assessing the proposal; and align the proposal in accordance with the guidelines provided by the donor.
- Elaborate on all areas covered in the concept note with a view to meeting donor expectations.
Outcomes of the Consultancy
The expected outputs are:
SNV is expected to submit a full application, budget and Logical Framework per formats that may be shared with consultant when calling for expression of interest. The basis for this is the submitted concept note (which will be shared with the proposal writer).
The Consultant will ensure that the proposal is developed in accordance with the requirements from the Donor and should be ready for dispatch before 10th July, 2018
Role of SNV and Consultant
SNV will cover the costs of the consultant;
SNV shall provide the necessary guidance; documents, contacts and logistical support to enable the Consultant undertake the assignment effectively.
The Consultant is expected to undertake the assignment professionally and promptly to deliver high quality outputs in line with the ToR and the Contract.
Lines of Communication
Direct reporting to the proposal Technical Lead or his Deputy. Good and open communication is expected with all members of the NRW WASH team and proposal development officers at SNV Head Office as required.
The expectation is for 10 days work spread over a period of 3 to 4 weeks to be determined and agreed upon in consultation with the proposal Technical Lead.
- Preferably an advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in international affairs/studies, development, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the design, proposal writing, and/or management of NRW WASH programmes, preferably in Kenya. Strong programme design skills, including capacity to prepare logical, coherent, and consistent documents including logframes and budgets.
- Prior demonstrated experience developing proposals for institutional donors, preferably with experience with European donors in general and the French Development Agency in particular.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with project team members in various locations, including remotely writing and revising proposal documents.
- Ability to integrate different experiences, methodologies, and approaches from a diverse range of stakeholders, organisations, and technical experts from multiple sectors.
- An awareness of the water sector and utilities.
- Good writing, visual presentation and data analysis skills with excellent written English
How to apply
Please submit your detailed CV that lists your engagements in proposal writing assignments, references and the rate that you charge by clicking on the I AM INTERESTED tab on this page on or before 14 June 2018 if you wish to be considered for this position.
More information about SNV Country
For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement. SNV does not require candidates to undergo medical examination prior to a successful interview process
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted