Tanzania nationals: WASH Officer (Sanitation and Solid Waste Management)
About the organization
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC is therefore seeking a WASH Officer-Sanitation & Solid Waste Management for the NRC Office in Kibondo-Kigoma, Tanzania. The WASH Officer-Sanitation & Solid Waste Management will report to the WASH Coordinator.
To apply for this position please go to NRC website at www.nrc.no and follow the "VACANCIES" link.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated WASH project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Contribute to organisational learning through the provision specific technical analysis, lessons learned and reports
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services specifically Latrines and Hand washing facilities.
- Oversee the construction and rehabilitation of latrines, drainage and other relevant Sanitation facilities ensuring that the constructions are of the highest quality and as per specified technical drawings.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Participate in the requests for project materials; undertake technical verification of project materials upon delivery, and organize for branding where necessary and also call for distribution to the beneficiaries.
- Develop solid waste management system applicable to camp setting.
- Undertake technical inspection of sanitary installations including latrines, pits, drainage systems and dome slab/lid constructions.
- Advice on quality control of all Sanitation activities – travel regularly to all the NRC construction sites assessing construction and M&E procedures.
- Development of rapid response and contingency plans.
- Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for the Sanitation activities.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
- To assist and participate in community mobilization.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Provide timely feedback on activity progress and advice on any challenges.
- Experience from working as WASH Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, oral and written
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point
- Participate in appropriate professional development of project portfolio
- At all times in and outside work adhere to NRC Code of Conduct
- Degree/Higher National Diploma in field related to Civil engineering, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects for at least 3 years. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
- Political and cultural awareness
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Understanding of international health and development and relief issues
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc.)
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected