Local hire: Water Quality Research Assistant
The Galveston Bay Foundation (GBF) is a nonprofit organization located on the Upper Texas Coast that has worked for 30 years to preserve and enhance one of the world’s most productive estuaries—Galveston Bay—as a healthy and productive place for generations to come. We have diverse programs in land preservation, habitat restoration, water quality and quantity, youth education, and advocacy. Our office is located approximately 25 miles southeast of downtown Houston in the Clear Lake area. To learn more about the Galveston Bay Foundation, please visit www.galvbay.org or find us on social media.
GBF seeks to secure the contractual services of a local graduate or qualified undergraduate student to help provide statistical and spatial analysis of GBF’s volunteer water quality data (www.galvbay.org/watermonitors). Analysis will be used to help answer specific water quality questions, assess value of data, and provide visuals to communicate findings.
Specific duties include:
- Providing research and analytical support to GBF Water Programs staff
- Conducting statistical and spatial analyses on water quality data as needed, based on answering specific questions posed by GBF staff and stakeholders
- Creating visualizations, such as charts and graphs, of the data in accordance with stakeholders needs
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be a current graduate student in the sciences or a similar technical field with:
- A strong understanding of quantitative statistical and/or spatial analytical methodologies and experience designing and answering research questions
- Experience with large data sets to answer research questions
- Knowledge of water quality parameters and ranges
- Background in quantitative data analysis or technical design
- Experience with Microsoft Access (preferred)
Application Instructions: Send resume and cover letter stating interests and qualifications via e-mail to by January 15, 2018