NRC is looking for a WASH Specialist to provide technical development of the WASH program in Ethiopia, as well as strategic direction and quality assurance. The WASH Specialist will provide mentoring, training and capacity building of staff. This position will be based in Jigjiga with approximately 50% travel in country.
The WASH Specialist will:
- Develop WASH Core Competence strategy, technical guidance and Macro logframe
- Develop and implement WASH programming in camps and out-of-camp with the aim to promote durable solutions and resilience.
- Work closely with Emergency Response Manager in design of WASH in emergency response.
- Work closely with other CC Specialists to promote integrated programming and synergies.
- Contribute to innovation in WASH design and smart use of cash-based interventions in WASH.
- Assist the Area Managers in the recruitment of the National WASH staff.
- Promote community mobilization and ensure participatory approaches in project design and implementation.
- Carry out assessments for effective planning and implementation of WASH projects.
- Undertake and document quality control and of all WASH activities – travel regularly to all implementation sites, identify challenges, solutions and implement quality improvement plans.
- Ensure a constructive co-operation with other NRC programs in neighbouring countries, ARRA, UNHCR, local authorities, other international and local NGOs.
- Liaise and coordinate with technical counterparts ARRA, UNHCR and relevant authorities on the project follow-up and monitoring.
- Communicate with and obtain necessary agreements and understanding from local authorities in line with the NRC protocol for communication.
- Ensure project result indicator monthly progress tracking and quality assurance of WASH GORS indicators reporting.
- At least 5 years of relevant field experience in international project-management, with technical expertise in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience in developing strategies and overseeing their delivery;
- Experience in WASH program implementation at the field-level, and WASH support function at national or regional level.
- Solid experience in WASH program development, preferably from refugee/IDP situation in complex emergencies;
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff;
- Significant understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts;
- Experience in coordination mechanisms on global, national and regional levels;
- Strong written and oral communications skills including ability to write technical documents and give presentations to colleagues in and outside of NRC.
Engineering sciences & technology
College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Jigjiga, with 50% travel in Ethiopia
Application procedures & cv registration
Please note that you are required to enter the GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for BOTH company and location
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.