We are seeking to recruit a Consultant or Senior Consultant to our global water team based in Oxford, UK. Details about the role are given below, and more information about OPM can be found here.
Our dedicated water team works across all WASH sub-sectors. Our experts specialise in WASH economics and finance, alongside broader technical areas of urban diagnostics, monitoring and evaluation. We have a strong track record in delivering high-quality results for clients including the World Bank, DFID, UNICEF and the Governments of Tanzania, Pakistan and Zambia, amongst others. More information can be found here.
About the role
Your responsibilities will be centred on the following tasks and functions:
- Delivery of technical work across a broad range of thematic areas, including: urban WASH research and diagnostics; WASH economics and finance; capacity building support to improve service delivery; monitoring, evaluation and political economy analysis. See a list of recent OPM water team projects here
- Support the strategic development of the company's markets within the WASH sector – with a particular focus on urban areas. This entails expanding our networks with clients and collaborators, and developing technical and financial proposals for WASH projects
- Manage projects to a high-level of quality, professionalism and rigour, ensuring that projects are delivered to maximise OPM's social (i.e. non-profit) impact objectives
- Contribute to OPM Water Team’s intellectual capital through capacity building of colleagues, publications, innovation and developing technical resources to be used across the company
- Working across teams with staff from other portfolios, such as health, education, nutrition and climate change
- Represent OPM at conferences and other international fora
Skills and Experience
Successful applicants must have:
- Experience of consultancy assignments and a solid understand of the consultancy market for WASH
- An excellent academic record including a Master’s degree in a relevant subject (e.g. economics, engineering, hydrology, hydrogeology, urban planning or a relevant social science discipline)
- Extensive experience working in low and middle income countries and/or transitional economies
- A track record, including publications, or relevant analytical work on the WASH sector, preferably regarding the research, design, and evaluation of urban WASH interventions
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of WASH policy and programming, and an ability to apply this knowledge analytically and practically
- The ability to be both a team player and to use their own initiative to prioritise work and handle competing demands appropriately
- The ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients both verbally and in writing
- The ability to be work flexible and take on new challenges
Additional preferred experience:
- Experience of evaluation assignments
- Experience of project management, including the management of large and geographically diverse project teams
- Experience of managing long term technical assistance programmes
- A desire to develop a specialism/ body of work/ intellectual contribution
- Interest in also working on Water Security projects
- Ability to work in at least one relevant foreign language (French, Portuguese, or Hindi)
Consultants typically join with work experience, some management experience, and have a good understanding of the consulting marketplace. Senior Consultants have broader and more extensive work (and management) experience and are able to take on large management and business strategy responsibilities.
This is a permanent position that is ideally full-time and ideally based in our offices in Oxford, UK. We are, however, open to a possibility of more flexible working from elsewhere in the UK or from our international offices. The role will involve regular overseas travel to ensure effective design and implementation of projects (20-40% of time spent travelling).
OPM offer a rewarding, interesting and collaborative work environment and excellent benefits including 30 days holiday entitlement and a good pension scheme. What’s it like working at OPM, and why should you join our growing global organisation? Watch this video to see what our colleagues have to say.
To submit an application please fill out the form online and submit the requested documents. We cannot accept applications submitted via email.
Thank you for considering OPM and we wish you all the best for your application.