The Alliance for Water Efficiency (AWE) is seeking a Membership Assistant to join a growing team based in Chicago, Illinois. The Membership Assistant is an essential part of the development team and is responsible for providing support to AWE’s goals of growing and supporting its membership across water utility, business, industry, non-profit and academic sectors.
Are you a resourceful, motivated, and self-starting team player in search of an exciting fundraising role that will position you for ongoing success in a nonprofit career? As our Membership Assistant, you’ll play a key role in helping a growing development team achieve its fundraising goals. This role is a great opportunity for someone early in their career to develop critical skills in nonprofit fundraising, program management and donor relations, while being part of some of the most innovative and exciting work happening in water management.
AWE offers generous benefits, and strives for a healthy work-life balance. Located in the heart of the Chicago downtown, the office is easily accessible via public transportation.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
The Membership Assistant is responsible for contributing to the creation of and supporting execution of a comprehensive membership acquisition and retention strategy that will grow AWE’s membership base and engage existing members. The position reports to the Manager of Development and Special Projects.
- Initiate, execute and evaluate membership acquisition and retention activities.
- Contribute to the development of membership recruitment communications and campaigns.
- Support efforts to generate qualified membership leads utilizing internal Salesforce database and other channels.
- Process, track, and nurture qualified membership leads with the goal of moving them through recruitment process.
- Collaborate with staff members to leverage existing programs and activities for the acquisition of new members.
- Analyze performance of direct mail campaigns, email campaigns and other recruitment and retention efforts.
- Help leverage data to inform organizational-wide decision making and tactics.
- Assist with development and editing of fundraising appeals and cultivation messages.
- Research, recommend, and implement new membership benefits and affinity programs.
- Create written and visual content for the website, newsletters, emails and social media channels to engage current and prospective members.
- Provide support on additional fundraising and development activity, as assigned.
Key Attributes, Desired Experience, and Education:
- 1-2 years of experience in a similar field
- An interest in environmental and sustainability issues
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work independently
- Analytical skills and understanding of data analysis
- Organization skills and high attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work well with diverse personality types.
- Motivation and capacity to develop deep understanding of AWE’s stakeholder audiences and offerings.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience writing about complex topics for non-technical audiences preferred.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple simultaneous projects and demands on both long-term and short-term timelines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and aptitude to develop a high level of proficiency with Salesforce CRM. Experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management software a plus.
- Comfort with making presentations in front of an audience and meeting one on one with key stakeholders.
- Ability to travel on occasion.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
Attractive benefits package offered, including but not limited to: health & dental; retirement; vacation, sick, and holiday pay.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Megan Chery at email@example.com. Please put “Membership Assistant” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.