Water Governance Programme Co-ordinator
The OECD is a global economic forum working with 35 member countries and more than 100 emerging and developing economies to make better policies for better lives. Our mission is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. The Organisation provides a unique forum in which governments work together to share experiences on what drives economic, social and environmental change, seeking solutions to common problems.
The OECD Water Governance Programme was created in 2009 as part of the Regional Development Policy Division (RDP), which is located in the Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs, Local Development and Tourism (CFE). The Programme seeks to advise governments on how to design and implement effective, efficient and inclusive water policies in a shared responsibility across levels of government and in co-operation with stakeholders. The Programme carries out five types of activities: accompany water reforms through national policy dialogues and country-specific reviews; support the implementation of the OECD Principles on Water Governance through the collection of best practices and the development of indicators; foster knowledge and experience sharing within the Policy Forum provided by the OECD Water Governance Initiative; carry out empirical research, cross-cutting thematic work or international benchmarks (recently on cities, stakeholder engagement, regulation and integrity) to produce evidence-based analysis; and raise the profile of governance in global processes and agendas.
We are looking for an experienced programme co-ordinator to lead the activities of the OECD Water Governance Programme. S/he will be expected to carry out and supervise economic and policy analysis, to draft and ensure the quality control of the reports and policy briefs; to disseminate the work in relevant events and networks; to co-ordinate the biannual multi-stakeholder network and its working groups; and to fundraise actively to ensure the sustainability of the Programme.
The selected candidate will report to the Head of Unit for Sustainable Development Goals, Water and Local Public Services.
1. Analytical work and drafting
- Conduct country-specific and cross-country economic analysis of policy relevant issues in the field of water governance. This will involve selecting and reviewing pertinent literature, producing evidence-based assessment, tailoring guidance to governments, participating in country reviews and missions, and identifying best practice that can inspire water reforms.
- Draft analytical reports, articles and concept notes summarising empirical knowledge and recent developments in the field of water governance for working papers, country reviews, academic literature, monographs, thematic studies, press releases, speeches or background briefings and ensure their timely and quality delivery.
2. Co-ordination, communication and management
- Take a lead role in developing, planning and managing innovative and policy-relevant water governance projects and contribute substantially to both the content and strategic development of resulting analyses and publications.
- Co-ordinate the activities of the OECD Water Governance Initiative in co-operation with its steering committee and relevant OECD directorates and subsidiary bodies. Key tasks include overseeing the organisation of the biannual policy forum, the timely and quality delivery of the indicator framework and the development of the best practice database.
- Design and implement proactive fundraising strategies to ensure the sustainability of the Programme and the dynamic engagement of influential stakeholders at all levels.
- Keep track of major water policy and literature developments to foster co-operation and synergies with relevant local, national and regional initiatives/programmes.
- Raise the profile of the OECD’s contribution to global processes such as the World Water Forum, the Stockholm World Water Week, the Paris Climate Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Enhance the communication, advocacy and outreach strategy of the Programme, through proactive use of the website, newsletters, social media, innovative partnerships and other channels as appropriate.
- Support the Head of Unit in fostering the water governance team’s growth and professional development, through providing regular feedback and coaching to the staff, and encouraging performance
- Disseminate key results of the Programme, in a shared responsibility with the team, in relevant conferences, policy processes and horizontal activities within and outside the OECD.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- An advanced university degree, preferably a PhD, or a MSc degree in economics, public policy, water management or related discipline.
- Minimum three, and for this role, ideally at least five years of experience in the field of water management, preferably in a national administration, in the private sector and/or in an international or intergovernmental organisation.
- Proven experience to engage with multiple stakeholders in local, national or international policy developments, reform processes and horizontal activities.
- Solid experience in producing high quality evidence-based economic analysis and recommendations to guide public action, building on cutting edge literature, international best practice and lessons from policy reforms.
- Proven experience in fundraising for the design and implementation of policy-relevant activities and solid connections with relevant donor communities or stakeholder groups who can support the Programme .
- Proven ability to organise and summarise complex material in a clear manner for specialists and non-specialists and to communicate effectively with both audiences.
- Fluency in one of the two OECD official languages (English and French) and knowledge of the other, with a commitment to reach a good working level.
- Knowledge of Spanish would be an asset.
- For this role, the following competencies would be particularly important: Achievement focus, Analytical thinking, Drafting skills, Teamwork and Team leadership, Diplomatic sensitivity, Strategic networking
- Please refer to the level 3 indicators of the OECD Core Competencies.
- One year fixed term appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
- Ideal starting date: 1 September 2017
- Depending on level of experience, monthly salary starts at either 7,095 EUR or 5,750 EUR, plus allowances based on eligibility, exempt of French income tax.
The OECD is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates who are nationals of OECD member countries, irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities.
The OECD promotes an optimal use of resources in order to improve its efficiency and effectiveness. Staff members are encouraged to actively contribute to this goal.