BORDA e.V. is a civil society expert organization founded more than four decades ago in Bremen, Germany. Our work focuses on the core tasks of services of general interest: water, wastewater, basic sanitation, energy and waste.
We stand for a human right. Services of general interest are a prerequisite for the creation of sustainable and liveable communities.
Together with governments and city councils, with local businesses and our partner organizations, we work to improve municipal planning processes and build effective sanitation structures. Thanks to our long-standing knowhow and successfully tested decentralized sanitation systems, we can offer solutions that significantly improve people's living conditions.
The German Federal Ministry mainly finances our work in more than 25 countries for Economic Cooperation and Development. Other important donors are the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Swiss International Cooperation and the Bremen Plenipotentiary to the Federal Government for Development Cooperation.
In Mali, BORDA partners with municipalities and local organisations to contribute to the achievement of sustainable development objectives (2) - No Hunger, (6) - Clean Water and Sanitation, and (11) - Sustainable Cities and Communities. We implement development projects for food security as well as for the improvement of sanitation services and biological wastewater treatment. The valorisation of wastewater and faecal sludge as fertilizer links those two domains.
We jumpstart sustainable agricultural production of rice, horticulture, and fodder in the north of Mali where internally displaced people and returnees lack the means for investments due to the ongoing security crisis. Two projects are being implemented in the regions of Tombouctou and Bandiagara in close collaboration with local partners.
The Malian sanitation sector lacks treatment capacity for faecal sludge. Our mandate is to support the stakeholders in strengthening the sanitation service/value chain and disseminate decentralised solutions for the safe management of faecal sludge.
We are seeking an experienced, strategically minded, and dedicated leader in a position as Country Manager for Mali (m/f/d)
Duties and responsibilities:
- Managing the operations of BORDA Mali, including overseeing finances and compliance with national regulations and donor requirements
- Maintaining and further developing the quality of project activities, establish new cooperation and projects with local actors and international donors in the field of food security, decentralized sanitation, and capacity management.
- Reviewing and further developing the national country strategy in Mali and in the whole Africa region
- Managing HR of the national Country Office including staff guidance, maintaining team cohesion and individual staff capacities
- Representing BORDA and our projects in Mali, the region and internationally
- Timely Reporting to the Africa Regional Director and Managing Director in HQ
- Advanced university degree (Master) in Engineering, Humanitarian/Development Studies, Economics, International Relations or other relevant fields
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in project or program management in the field of development cooperation, experience in a leading position is an asset
- Awareness of the humanitarian, development and political context in Mali, working experience in the region is an asset
- Experience in the management of projects and/or programs involving work with civil society at different levels including cooperating with civil society initiatives, associations, non-governmental organisations, as well as with national and international institutions
- Ability to effectively lead an intercultural team in an international working environment
- Fluency in French, English and German (written and oral)
- Excellent communication, presentation and networking skills
- Willingness to regional and international travel
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality work on a variety of issues under tight deadlines and to make effective and timely decisions
- Proficiency in the use of software and applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint)
This is a full-time position based in Bamako, Mali on a fixed-term contract basis.
To apply, send an up-to-date CV, cover letter, copies of diplomas and reference letters to by 31.05.2021. For more information, visit www.borda.org or contact Judith Ringlstetter ( ).