Local recruitment: Watsan Supervisor (COVID-19 Intervention)
- Position: WATSAN Supervisor
- Location of Job: Mumbai
- Subject/Mission: COVID-19 emergency intervention
- Duration of the Job: Until end of July 2021 (Renewable depending upon project needs)
- Monthly Gross Salary: INR 38,890/-
- Closing Date: 07th May 2021
- Expected Start Date: ASAP
- No. of vacancies: 01 (One)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare. We have been present in India since 1999 providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, antibiotic resistance, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. Doctors Without Borders was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
COVID-19 emergency intervention
Today we are facing a new global challenge. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams are racing to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic in over 70 countries, including opening new projects in areas that are becoming pandemic hotspots. In India, Mumbai is as of now considered as one of the biggest hotspots in the country. The rising number of confirmed cases especially in the slum areas requires more focused approaches and interventions. Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) decided to start an emergency intervention to support and strengthen COVID response in M East Ward by focusing on: -
- Disease prevention in Govandi slum (health promotion, water and sanitation);
- Management of COVID-19 ward for mild to moderate cases
Due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) is planning to implement a comprehensive COVID-19 intervention in the M/East Ward (MEW), Mumbai and other parts of Mumbai (Maharashtra) as needed with the purpose of preventing, diagnosing and treating mild and moderate cases of COVID-19 in a dedicated health facility thereby decongesting the current referral hospitals to be able to focus on the severe cases. The project will also implement OPD/Fever clinic to strengthen screening, diagnosis and testing and WASH and health promotion intervention in the MEW community in close collaboration with the Mumbai Municipal Corporation and other actors.
Main Purpose of the Role
Supporting the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (Watsan) Manager in the implementation and supervision of Watsan activities, including tools and materials employed according to DWBI standards and protocols, in order to improve health and living conditions of the target population
- Responsible for capacity building of the BKC hygenist team
- Assist WATSAN manager in organising training for waste management trainings
- In collaboration with BKC Facility hygiene focal point ensures standards of hygiene and waste management protocols are implemented.
- Supervising and follow up with the community WATSAN technicians work.
- Making regular activity update reports
- Ensuring the day-to-day implementation and administration of assigned WATSAN activities at the project level, including but not limited to, water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, vector control.
- Ensuring the maintenance and repair of technical equipment in the project to guarantee an adequate running of WATSAN activities;
- Ensuring the distribution of the materials and tools used in water treatment, hygiene and sanitation (e.g. physical organization and inventory of stocks, receiving and processing orders for water, sanitation and hygiene material, check that the amounts received are recorded, and check monthly consumptions, etc.);
- Supporting the WATSAN Manager in ensuring an appropriate emergency preparedness and response capacity (physical verification of stocks, contacts, transport means, staff training). Ensuring appropriate assistance to the project response team and if required, participating in emergency activities or exploratory visits.
- Technical diploma, desirable specialization in water and sanitation
- Previous experience in technical works and organising of multiple activities, preferably within MSF or similar work environment
HR & Benefits (Non-negotiable)
- Monthly Gross Salary: INR 38,890/-
- Secondary Benefits (pro rata) as per policies:
- 13th Month Salary / Festival Bonus
- 18 Annual Leaves
- 12 Casual Leaves
- Other compassionate leaves
- Medical Reimbursement including dependents
- Personal Accidental Insurance including dependents
To apply please email your CV and motivation letter with the subject Ref: Watsan Supervisor to:
by 7th of May 2021, 6:00 pm.
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED AND INVITED FOR INTERVIEW
Due to the current lockdown we arrange transportation for our staff as long as there is no public transport. As this recruitment is for a specific emergency response on COVID-19, it is important that staff only apply for this position if they do not have one of the major risk factors for COVID namely existing cardiac complications, diabetes, hypertension, pregnancy or age > 55 years.