Leverage on specialized knowledge in the environmental subject matter to support the development of environmental sector policy and strategies within broad policies and objectives. Contribute to the identification, development, processing, implementation and administering of loans and other projects in the energy sector, with supervision for critical tasks.
Deliver assignments independently and as part of a team in a combination of the following broad outcome areas:
Strategy and Planning
- Support country operations and regional cooperation in relation to environmental concerns by providing information and analyses for the development of strategies for environmentally sustainable development.
- Support developing member countries (DMCs) and project implementing agencies to build their capacity in environmental planning and management.
- Collaborate and liaise with other ADB’s Departments on environmental policies and compliance requirements.
- Take a lead to process and administer advisory or regional technical assistance (TA) projects.
- Provide input relating to environmental issues during project identification, design, loan processing and implementation to mitigate negative impacts.
- Develop and prepare lending projects that help improve the environment and address climate change.
- Administer lending projects in energy and environmental sectors.
Identify opportunities for ADB assistance projects in the environmental sector.
- Prepare sector profiles and studies, loan and TA reports and issue papers.
- Propose project environmental classification, review environmental assessment reports and ensure compliance with ADB requirements.
- Evaluate the environmental impacts of energy and other infrastructure projects to ensure compliance with ADB’s environmental safeguards policies.
Climate Change Initiatives
- Review loans and TA portfolio of potential Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction projects in infrastructure sectors to identify potential Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects and “climate proofing” needs/opportunities.
- Recommend specific strategies for mainstreaming carbon benefits through CDM into the project design and development processes.
- Provide technical backstop to ADB missions on CDM projects in general and GHG mitigation projects in sectors including energy.
- Prepare Project Climate Risk Assessment and Management Report to identify and address climate change risks in projects, and provide support on project Climate Risk and Vulnerability Assessment
Lead and identify specific areas of capacity building assistance required for mainstreaming climate change mitigation and adaption in infrastructure sectors.
- Take the role of team leader to develop capabilities/potential of reporting staff.
- Track the performance of reporting staff providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Master’s degree in environment sciences, environmental engineering or other related specialized fields. University degree in environment sciences, environmental engineering or other related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
- At least 8 years’ relevant experience within in environmental policy and management in a professional capacity.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Provide application of expertise within a specific area, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
People and leadership skills
- Act as a mentor to the more junior team members, providing guidance on projects or processing of loans/technical assistance
- Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues
- Able to act as a team leader when required with supervision from the Director or a more senior team leader.
- Supervisor: Director
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.