Australia nationals: Water Monitoring Officer
We are NSW’s bulk water supplier, river operator and your one-stop shop for licensing, water trades and water information. We supply two thirds of water used in NSW from our 42 dams, rivers and pipelines to regional towns, irrigators, Sydney Water and local water utilities. We also own and operate the largest surface and groundwater monitoring network in the southern hemisphere and build, maintain and operate essential infrastructure.
We are currently seeking an experienced Water Monitoring Officer to join our Water & Catchment Protection Team based in Buronga. You will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of water monitoring sites and equipment to enable the collection, management and dissemination of accurate water monitoring data, ensuring accuracy and quality.
Although the team is based in Buronga, many staff reside in Mildura; a large rural city of over 70,000 people, the heart of the Sunraysia Region and only a short 5 min drive over the Murray River from the office. There are also a number of small satellite towns which offer a rural lifestyle and space, with the shopping, medical and commercial needs of a major rural city.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure all activities are undertaken with the safety of people as the number one priority
- The collection, processing and management of Hydrometric (surface water), groundwater and water quality monitoring data from a large remote monitoring network
- Collect water quality samples as requested by internal or external stakeholders within assigned sites and in accordance with quality guidelines and relevant procedures
- Install, manage and maintain water monitoring equipment and infrastructure to prescribed standards related to the network in Western NSW in remote/isolated and challenging environments
- Report on the performance of individual water monitoring sites from telemetered/non-telemetered datasets and seek instrumentation advice to identify/resolve issues
- A willingness to travel overnight to remote/isolated locations throughout NSW, performing tasks in and around water as part of a team on a regular basis
- Contribute to continual improvement of the implementation and maintenance of quality assurance systems, audit programs and development of work instructions and procedures.
Skills and Qualifications required:
- Undergraduate degree or Diploma of Water Industry Operations (hydrography), Science, Engineering, Asset Management or equivalent experience in an appropriate field.
- A current Driver’s Licence
- Strong swimming experience
- Computer literacy and ability to interpret data, work with specialist databases and monitor network performance
- A willingness and ability to carry out field work in all weather conditions that can be extreme at times and for prolonged periods of time. The work is both physically and mentally demanding while still requiring the worker to remain safe.
- Knowledge of the principles of regulatory frameworks
- Awareness of and interest in natural resource management, particularly water
- Desirable: Current First Aid Certificate, Boat Licence, row a boat/kayak, work at heights, heavy lifting and competency in driving four-wheel drive vehicles
The successful applicant will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including a National police check and Medical check. Any offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance of these checks.
More information can be accessed via the Position Description
All applications must be lodged via an online application - emailed applications will not be accepted.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close 26.02.2021