Australia nationals: Senior Policy Officer
The Basin Strategy & Knowledge Portfolio is seeking an APS6 Senior Policy Officer for an ongoing opportunity.
Within the Basin Strategy & Knowledge Portfolio this role is part of the Strategic Policy team. The team has a unique role in the organisation, working across teams and with external agencies to understand the MDBA’s place in Australia’s complex policy environment.
The team looks both within water and to the broader policy horizon with the view to:
• Advise the MDBA on existing or developing policy opportunities and/or challenges that intersect with the implementation of the Basin Plan; and
• Enable, coordinate and/or deliver the resolution of those policy opportunities/challenges.
The Senior Policy Officer will:
• Have exceptional research, communication and interpersonal skills, and an excellent grasp of the Murray-Darling Basin water reform strategic landscape;
• Use their policy knowledge, project management skills and initiative to deliver the Strategic Policy team’s projects on the cross-cutting issues that impact the MDBA’s work; and
• Works collaboratively with other parts of the Basin Strategy & Knowledge Portfolio and the Murray–Darling Basin Authority, other agencies of the Australian Government, the Basin States and Territory and wider stakeholders.
The key duties, skills and attributes for this role include:
• Undertake research and policy analysis on a range of water management policy issues and provide recommendations on pathways to solve complex problems.
• Develop policy briefings, position papers and reports on key issues and program activities.
• Coordinate and contribute to multidisciplinary projects across the agency’s Portfolios.
• Work collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including government, industry bodies and local community organisations.
• Well-developed leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
• Resilience, with an exceptional ability to successfully deliver results in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
• Excellent written and analysis skills, with the ability to synthesise and interpret complex information.
For more information regarding this opportunity please contact Chris Pulkkinen (Email: or Phone: 02 6279 0654). Position Description