International GEF Project Development Consultant
UNDP acting as an implementing agency of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) is providing assistance to Belarus in the preparation of the GEF Project "Conservation of Wetland Biodiversity and Sustainable Management of Freshwater Ecosystems in the Western Dvina/Daugava Transboundary River Basin" (Western Dvina IP)
The proposed project is geographically focused on the Western Dvina/Daugava river basin. Within this transboundary freshwater basin, the project will support transboundary cooperation and promote mechanisms for the integrated management of the water resources. Improving the management of transboundary waters in the Western Dvina river basin will be based on the implementation of respective national-level management plans for the transboundary river basin, in Belarus and in Latvia. Simultaneously, the project will support further development, appraisal and adoption of the transboundary cooperation agreement between the two countries. The project will assist the two countries with preparation of a regional Strategic Action Programme (SAP), outlining the key priorities and directions for joint management actions and transboundary cooperation in the basin for conservation and sustainable use of the shared transboundary resources, as a roadmap for the implementation of the transboundary cooperative agreement. The project will further accelerate the transformative processes in the Western Dvina basin in Belarus by pilot testing conjunctive management solutions offered through the national Western Dvina River Basin Management Plan and providing targeted incremental support to concrete activities aimed at restoring and protecting valuable freshwater ecosystems and ecosystem services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Environment Programme Officer at UNDP, Belarus and the UNDP Regional Technical Advisor on Climate Change Mitigation at UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) the International GEF Project Development Specialist - PPG Team Leader (hereinafter referred to as PPG Team Leader) will prepare the UNDP project document, including all the required annexes and supporting documentation, the GEF Request for CEO Endorsement, the climate change mitigation tracking tool/GEF Core indicators and any other document required by the GEF Secretariat and UNDP as a part of Western Dvina project submission package.
Please use the following link to get access to the TOR, Procurement Notice and full information on the application procedure: https://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=69866
- Experience in team management confirmed by previous working experience in managing at least three employees;
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of Russian will be an asset
- Excellent report writing skills confirmed by at least 3 examples of reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree or higher in a relevant field, such as environmental management, Natural Resource Management, Natural Sciences, Development Studies or another closely related field;
- Minimum 7 years of demonstrable experience in the technical area of natural resource management/BD conservation;
- Previous demonstrated experience in formulation of GEF-funded project proposals confirmed by at least two successful projects approved by the GEF;
- Previous experience of working in the Eastern European and/or CIS countries will be an asset