Water Resources Engineer/Scientific Programmer
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is currently seeking a Water Resources Engineer/Scientific Programmer for our Resilience Solutions team in our Fairfax, VA office.
Technical Responsibilities Include:
- Hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) analyses for modeling and mapping floodplains and floodways in riverine and urban areas
- Developing flood risk data and products and performing flood risk assessments
- Providing support in water resources and resiliency aspects of multi-disciplinary projects for integrated water resources and watershed master planning
- Performing data engineering tasks including development of data pipelines and maintenance of complex data sets
- Create and maintain geospatial databases
- Developing data science workflows, tools, and analyses to perform resiliency studies
- Developing innovative and technical solutions for successful delivery of engineering projects
- Writing complex technical reports and communicating results to client
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Experience in statistical modeling and data analysis in R (or Python)
- Experience with open source geospatial programming tools including GDAL and PostGIS
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS preferred) tools and services
- Experience with compiled languages including Go, Scala, C++, etc.
- Experience in big data analytics, cluster and/or distributing computing techniques
- A Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, a Masters or Ph.D. in water resources engineering is highly preferred
- Minimum 2-10 years experience in 2D and unsteady H&H modeling
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment
Must have a valid driver’s license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.