The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.10.2020 of a Senior Scientist at the Department of Geography and Regional Research
Reference number: 11269
We are currently looking for a senior scientist (praedoc) in Geoecology to support the Core Facility for Long
Term Ecological Wetland Research which we are opening. Facilities include eddy covariance towers with carbon dioxide, water vapour and methane sensors, autochambers and spectroscopic isotopic greenhouse gas analyzers.
Duration of employment: 3 year/s
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
- Supervision, maintenance and development of field and laboratory facilities, e.g. maintenance and
supervision of our Long Term Ecological Wetland Sites (https://www.lter-austria.at/en/cwn-sitespuergschachener-
- Taking responsibility as technical supervisor of the Core Facility for Long Term Ecological Wetland Research
- Full involvement in the Core Facility administration, including project management and the acquisition of new
- Support of project applications and independent acquisition of third-party funding
- Writing articles in international publications in high impact journals and presenting at international
- Independent teaching as defined by the collective agreement
- Involvement with, and scientific support of, research groups, projects, guest researchers, and international
- Participation and presentation at international conferences and international publications in high impact
Requirements and essential qualifications:
We are looking for a scientist with a master degree or comparable in a field of Natural Sciences and expertise
in the relevant research topics at the intersection of Biometeorology, Geoecology, Soil Science and Plant
Ecophysiology that will complement the existing strengths of the Geoecology group. The successful candidate
- Proven experience in the management of field sites and analytical techniques
- Proven expertise in data analysis and programing (R applications, MATLAB or comparable packages)
- Experience in teaching on graduate level
- An adequate publication record
- Goal-orientation and dedication to scientific excellence
- Ability to expand existing and establish new research collaborations on a national and international level
- Willingness and ability to drive by car to field sites and, if needed, work long hours, even under adverse
conditions in the field
Required application documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience, other
qualifying activity and a list of publications)
- Description of experience in the management of field sites and instruments for the analysis of greenhouse
gases and research interests
Please submit all your documents, letters, CV etc. together in ONE single PDF file.
Geosciences Agricultural meteorology; Geoecology; Environmental research SHOULD
University Other and interdisciplinary Natural Sciences Long-term ecological research MUST
German Excellent knowledge MUST
English Good knowledge MUST
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 21.09.2020, mentioning reference number 11269.
For further information please contact Glatzel, Stephan +43-1-4277-48660.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Reference number: 11269