Technical Advisor (Water Resources and Environment)
XLA is seeking a Technical Advisor to support the Office of Water Resources and Environment (WRE) at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in Amman, Jordan. The candidate is expected to provide senior-level support to the WRE infrastructure team and must possess a strong knowledge of USAID business practices, policies, and procedures, particularly as they relate to construction and/or water projects. Additionally, he/she is also expected to possess strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
The infrastructure team is composed of three locally hired and highly qualified engineers including one senior team leader. The candidate would backfill a Foreign Service Officer position for up to a year to support this team leader and liaise between the WRE infrastructure team and the USAID office/mission leadership. Responsibilities would include:
- Leading the design of a $50M follow-on to the Jordan Water and Infrastructure project, WRE’s flagship Architecture and Engineering (A&E) services contract;
- Coordinating between USAID and the Government of Jordan at the technical level, other donors, and private sector on water and wastewater infrastructure projects;
- Coordinating with the Mission’s Resident Legal Advisor on USAID processes, agreement negotiations, etc.;
- Supporting the Infrastructure team lead in advising the Office Director/Deputy Director on communication to the Mission Front Office, on upcoming decisions and political considerations, and keeping office leadership abreast of ongoing issues;
- Representing the WRE office at meetings within the embassy and with the GOJ.
Lastly, while the WRE infrastructure team comprises strong technical expertise, the incumbent is expected to compliment this technical expertise by shepherding internal USAID processes associated with project design and implementation. Expectations include:
- Mentoring locally hired staff that are relatively new to working with USAID and that still need guidance on USAID procedures and processes;
- Ensuring deadlines and USAID requirements are met;
- Writing documents and editing for clarity, language, and most importantly to improve justifications for key actions;
- Maintaining a cohesive and strategic eye on the portfolio in order to make sound strategic recommendations to the Office Director/Deputy Office Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, Master’s degree preferred;
- At least 10 years of relevant experience including prior experience providing direct support to one or more USAID Mission;
- Experience related to construction and/or water related projects, preferably within the Middle East and Northern Africa region;
- Experience mentoring/guiding/training staff and coordinating activities with other offices/organizations;
- Strong knowledge of USAID business practices, policies, and procedures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Ability to travel to/live in Amman, Jordan for a period of up to one year once the current COVID-related situation allows