Type of Contract: Consultancy / Short-term assignment
Title: WASH Engineer
Dept. / Unit: Global Programs / Africa and Middle East Programs
Reporting Lines: Program Manager, African Parks Partnerships / Director, Africa and Middle East Programs
Primary Location: Malawi / Project locations (2 health centers near Majete National Park in the Chikwawa District and 2 health centers near Liwonde National Park in the Balaka and Machinga Districts)
Position Type: Full-Time
Duration of Assignment: Until December 18, 2020 with possibility of extension.
Experience Level: 5-10 Years
Degree Required: Trade Test Grade 1, Diploma, or Degree (Civil Engineering Degree desirable)
General Description of the Program:
Since 2003, Americares has been supporting access to medicine and other health services in Malawi. Currently, Americares and African Parks are partnering to implement health and conservation programing in communities supported by four health centers (Chapananga, Epicenter 1, Mangamba, and Namanolo), which are located around the Majete and Liwonde National Parks in Malawi. The project aims to establish thriving health centers that offer quality services to improve health outcomes. However, many of these clinics lack running water, safe water storage, and appropriate plumbing and drainage systems; while the water that is available is often contaminated and serves as an additional health hazard.
To address these concerns, Americares is working with the District Health Offices and maintenance teams to improve WASH-related infrastructure at four health centers so that they can function appropriately and serve the health needs of the surrounding communities. In the wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, these infrastructure improvements are as important as ever.
Purpose of the Assignment:
The WASH Engineer will likely be based in Blantyre or near Liwonde/Majete National Parks, as s/he will be required to visit the project sites regularly. The WASH Engineer will collaborate with the Project Managers who are already in place and report to the Program Manager, African Parks Partnerships who is based in HQ. The WASH Engineer will also coordinate with the District Health Maintenance Offices, Water Department, health facility in charges and other stakeholders to ensure the quality work product and sustainability.
Under the terms of this assignment, the WASH Engineer will be responsible for the delivery of Americares WASH program activities in Malawi, under the technical supervision of Americares WASH Technical Advisor. This includes the rehabilitation and upgrade of existing water systems (water supply, storage, distribution networks, pumping stations, etc.) in the selected facilities. In order to perform his/her tasks, the WASH Engineer will be required to carry out site overseeing, developing agreed construction plans, bill of quantities (BoQs), technical drawings, timelines, etc. and providing technical support to the selection and procurement of equipment/materials/etc. The ultimate goal of the WASH Engineer will be to ensure the timely delivery of all WASH works (i.e. repairs and upgrades) as described in the relevant project documents and the respect and application of sector and national standards and guidelines.
While most job responsibilities refer to the “Xylem WASH project,” additional tasks may be added to the WASH Engineer’s role as s/he will function as the sole WASH focal point for the Malawi team. As such, s/he will be required to provide assistance and oversight on any other ad-hoc WASH-related activities that might funded during the course of the consultancy, especially those related to COVID-19 and the Malawi Strive To Thrive project.
The WASH Engineer will be required to ensure clear communication and coordination with Americares staff, local authorities and counterparts, providing technical oversight and guidance, as well as supporting the development of technical best practices, processes, and reports; with regular field visits to project sites and frequent meetings with all actors involved.
Duties, objectives, and competencies
While performing his/her assignment, the WASH Engineer will oversee the following:
· Supervise construction sites, informing the Program Manager of any challenges or delays encountered and working with the WASH Technical Advisor and District Maintenance Officer to develop appropriate solutions to same.
· Provide technical support with regards to planning, design and implementation of repair and upgrade works; this includes the identification of suitable technical solutions in respect of local regulations and codes, the preparation of detailed BoQs, the elaboration of technical drawings, the contracting of required labor/workforce (either individuals or companies), the verification of completion and quality of works, etc.
· Act as a focal point between Americares Malawi and HQ teams to ensure the necessary equipment/materials are procured and delivered to site, according to agreed upon work-plans and with adequate notice provided to ensure procurement processes can be completed in line with Americares policies and under the supervision of the Program Manager, African Parks Partnership.
· Support the district maintenance team and target facilities to develop detailed long-term maintenance plans, including budget and staffing needs for implementation of the same.
· Support the district maintenance team and target facilities to develop most possible efficient operational processes of existing water systems and monitoring operations to ensure efficient delivery of WASH services.
· Monitor the implementation of all construction works in terms of outputs against activity plans and take all-necessary action, in association with the relevant district maintenance teams and Americares Project Managers and Program Manager for the African Parks Partnerships, to ensure the works are completed to the highest technical standard within the allotted time and budget.
· Ensure that policies and guidelines as laid down in Americares manuals and policies and Malawi government guidelines are always adhered and respected, and that major technical decisions are made in consultation with Americares WASH Technical Advisor.
· Ensure adherence to Americares Code of Conduct, Human Resources policies and standards of integrity as they apply to consultants, as well as uphold Americares whistleblowing mechanisms.
· Other infrastructure- and programmatic-related tasks as assigned by the Program Manager, African Parks Partnerships and Director for Africa and Middle East Programs.
Requirements - Essential
· Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering (university graduate) or similar education background and level. Degree in civil engineering an advantage.
· Obtaining the appropriate legal requirements, licenses, and authorizations, which may include Trade Test Grade 1, Advanced Malawi Craft Certificate, Construction Diploma (City and Guilds).
· Proven experience in water and sanitation systems.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in WASH or related field.
· Experience with project / program implementation, particularly hardware and infrastructure components and oversight of construction activities/sites.
· Prepared to work in resource-limited environments with significant time spent in the field.
· Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
· High level of computer skills, especially Microsoft Excel.
· English language (spoken and written). Chichewa (spoken)
· Very good knowledge of water and sanitation systems equipment and materials (pumps, generators, networks pipelines and accessories, etc.).
· Good knowledge of the context where Americares works in Malawi.
· Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organizations an advantage.
· Previous experience working with NGOs (WASH field) or public water authorities a distinct advantage.
· High level of engineering designing programs (AutoCAD, Water CAD, etc.).
· Previous experience with health facility infrastructure
This ToR only serves as a guide for the position available. Americares reserves the right to change this document. Due to the nature of Americares work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that Americares will close adverts as soon as the right candidate is found, and this may be before the published closing date.