VISTA Position Description: The VISTA will work to increase and expand community efforts related to ongoing watershed planning by improving community programming and increasing community visibility of Headwaters and organizational efforts. In addition, the member will expand educational programming and volunteer recruitment, improve communication strategies, collect community member input related to local waterways, and strengthen partnerships with stakeholders. The improvement of local water-quality will aid in alleviating poverty by lessening healthcare costs associated with poor water-quality, reduces the financial burden related to purchasing clean drinking water, and improves the environmental conditions needed for a sustainable and thriving local economy.
Revise our current yearlong education program, and determine which units need to be updated.
- In partnership with at least two Letcher County public schools evaluate and document the successes and areas of opportunity of the educational program from the previous year
Identify community organizations, county schools, and local groups that serve low income families and are interested in attending summer educational programming related to Project WET.
- Foster strong connections with local media outlets and create a contact list of journalist that can be shared with the Headwater leadership team.
VISTA Terms & Benefits
- AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older
- Full-time (40 hours/week), one-year commitment
- Monthly living allowance of $1028 per month ($13,340/year) before taxes
- Upon completion, choose between education award ($6,195) or cash award ($1,800)
- Forbearance/deferment of federal student loans payments
- Eligible to receive healthcare allowances
- Access to professional development and training opportunities
- Additional resources: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $1,028.00 per month
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development Assistance
- Relocation Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Monday to Friday
- Community Outreach: 1 year (Preferred)
- Associate (Required)
- One location
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity