Mountain Watershed Association is seeking two community organizers who will work to support and mobilize residents who are directly impacted by shale gas, petrochemical, coal, and other development that poses risks to water quality in the Youghiogheny River Watershed. The Organizer must be able to work with directly impacted people and invest in their skills to advocate for their communities.
Mountain Watershed Association is based in Melcroft, PA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our staff is working from home and moving their work forward virtually, which will likely continue for the remainder of 2020. Applicants will be expected to work from our office in Melcroft, PA when social-distancing restrictions are lifted.
- Organize residents around issues that impact community and environmental health in the Youghiogheny River Watershed and surrounding region, including, but not limited to: coal mining, shale gas operations, petrochemical facilities, power plants, landfills, stone quarries, and sewage issues.
- Actively engage with a diversity of individuals and communities throughout the Youghiogheny River Watershed and greater Southwestern PA region, both digitally and in-person (when possible)
- Work with community leaders to host and promote local meetings & initiatives
- Develop and provide trainings, support, and information so leaders are better equipped to advocate for their communities
- Grow our digital organizing capacity in ways that are still accessible for rural communities, such as by coordinating virtual meetings, webinars, text and phone banks
- Moblize residents for events, actions, and meetings across the region through direct outreach (phone calls, mailings, e-mails, canvassing, etc).
- Identify and take advantage of opportunities to promote our work throughout the region through social media, writing letters to the editor, op-eds and interview opportunities, such as responding to reporters
- Collaborate with other organizations & coalitions to support regional campaigns & initiatives, including the expanding work in addressing petrochemical build-out throughout the Ohio River Valley
- Assist in managing MWA’s Direct Support Fund
- Provide guidance and feedback for groups navigating the grant-writing process for the first time
- Actively follow up with funded groups to ensure that they are receiving the support they need to follow through with their initiatives
- Organize outreach initiatives to promote the Direct Support Fund throughout the Marcellus & Utica shale region
- Provide support to other staff and volunteers as needed
- Demonstrated leadership capability and ability to work well with a wide variety of people (rural experience strongly preferred). Ability to work effectively and creatively with diverse people and organizations
- Competency in digital communications and organizing, with proficiency in using Zoom, Action Network, and text banking platforms
- Ability to multitask, adapt to changing situations and to think creatively and quickly and to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work digitally until social-distancing measures are lifted.
- Ability to work daily out of our Melcroft, PA office when COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. Occasional overnight travel required. Long hours and weekends are occasionally necessary.
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- Strong communication skills (writing sample required)
- Proficiency in google docs, gmail, office suite, and social media and willingness to develop additional skills.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $35,000.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Monday to Friday
Our staff are currently working remotely while taking turns with office hours if needed. We take COVID-19 seriously and are taking proper precautions to protect our staff.
- One location
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19