Principal Associate (Ecosystem Restoration)
The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities.
We are leaders in providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration solutions supporting government agencies at the local, state, and federal levels.
Abt also addresses pressing global environmental issues, especially in developing nations worldwide.
DHE provides a dynamic and collaborative work environment to our employees that fosters professional growth and promotes a culture of innovation, thought leadership, technical excellence, and collaboration.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this position will be based as a telecommuter for the foreseeable future. Only when Abt reopens offices to all employees will there be an expectation that new hires return to the geographical office to which they were hired.
The Principal Associate- Ecosystem Restoration- will report into the Vice President, of Environmental and Natural Resources, supporting business development and growth, while helping to deliver bold and innovative solutions to Abt’s customers.
The Principal Associate- Ecosystem Restoration – will work closely with key clients and support business growth. They will be responsible for market penetration strategies to enhance an already strong market position, while supporting federal and state agencies responsible for restoring the natural environment impacted by contaminants (oil spills, mining activities, chemical spills, etc.).
This person will have oversight of and be responsible for a diverse portfolio of projects and programs supporting a diverse array of clients, including public sector agencies, NGOs, and law firms that are representing trustee agencies in legal matters against responsible parties. This includes client satisfaction as a key metric of project success.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The ideal candidate will have strong working knowledge and extensive previous experience with the NRDA and Restoration markets across all project life cycles.
- They should be established in this market and have existing client relationships that will support new business growth at Abt. They are externally focused, supporting the Vice President, Environment and Natural Resources in developing a market penetration strategy to enhance our already strong market position.
- They will support federal and state agencies responsible for restoring the natural environment impacted by contaminants (oil spills, mining activities, chemical spills, etc.).
- This candidate will contribute to current and future projects as a trusted advisor and as a technical/domain expert.
- With minimum supervision, the ideal candidate will develop and execute a growth strategy for this line of business, working in close collaboration with senior executives at Abt and in the current business line.
- The candidate will participate in capture of new business and development of proposals, typically in response to government Requests for Proposals.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Strong technical background in sciences relating to natural resources, either marine, aquatic, or terrestrial. Experience in multiple ecosystem types is a plus. Also experience in nearshore, offshore, riverine, estuarine, or coastal marine ecosystems is a strong positive.
- Ideal candidate will have some knowledge and/or experience working on NRDA restoration planning projects as well as experience analyzing projects under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Knowledge and experience in injury assessments and restoration resulting from chemical contaminants is a strong plus (including PCBs, Mercury, PFAS/PFOAS, etc.).
- As much of our recent work is focused on the Gulf of Mexico (post Deepwater Horizon restoration), an ideal candidate will have experience in the Gulf coastal ecosystems or working with the agencies focused in that range, for example federal agencies like NOAA, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Army Corps of Engineers, or state government natural resource agencies.
- The position has a strong business development component, both new business development and organic growth element. So, the candidate should understand full life cycle business development, from lead ID, qualification and capture, to bid development.
- They should be able to lead any aspect of this life cycle and mentor/coach less experienced staff.
- Position requires superb written and verbal communication skills.
- MA/MS or PhD with at least 10-15 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.