U.S. nationals: Black Warrior Riverkeeper
Black Warrior Riverkeeper is hiring an AmeriCorps Member through the Governor’s Office of Volunteer Services to build capacity in our Volunteer Program. This program directly supports our mission to protect and restore the Black Warrior River and its tributaries.
Available Position: AmeriCorps Volunteer Engagement Program
The Volunteer Program at Black Warrior Riverkeeper seeks potential volunteers and cultivates them to become local environmental stewards by organizing and providing activities that will enhance our local environment and community. The AmeriCorps Member we are hiring for this program will recruit new volunteers, reignite existing volunteers, and organize strategic and effective intervention activities that cultivate a sense of responsibility while building skills for environmental stewardship. Members will organize and host several community cleanups, recycling activities, and invasive species removals for volunteers. Members will streamline volunteer sign-up and communication processes. Members will also coordinate and collaborate with local community groups and non-profit organizations to increase overall participation in environmental stewardship activities and making a substantial difference in the 17-county Black Warrior River watershed.
1. Knowledge of and commitment to environmental protection.
2. Comfortable working in an outdoor setting in adverse conditions for long hours.
3. Ability to stay organized, prioritize multiple projects, manage schedule independently and meet deadlines with enthusiasm and a positive outlook.
4. Must be able to lift 50 lbs and feel comfortable carrying heavy items.
5. Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
6. Experience with Database Management preferred.
7. Must be creative and flexible.
8. Interest in hands-on conservation and stewardship projects preferred.
9. Experience with, and enthusiasm for, training and managing volunteers.
10. Superb interpersonal and oral communication skills.
11. Experience with Microsoft-based products (Word, Excel, Outlook).
12. Ability to learn new software/applications quickly.
General Information: AmeriCorps Members must meet all eligibility requirements in 45 CFR §2522.200(a). AmeriCorps Members must meet all Black Warrior Riverkeeper and AmeriCorps clearance and background check requirements. Members agree to provide information to establish eligibility and to complete a National Criminal History Check as outlined in 45 CFR §2522.202. It is preferred that the applicant has received a bachelor’s degree or is currently working toward a degree.
Position location: Black Warrior Riverkeeper, 712 37th Street South, Birmingham, AL, 35222, though remote work is likely at least part of the time during the COVID pandemic.
Service term: September 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021; approx. 25 hours/week for Half-Time positions.
AmeriCorps stipend: $7,335.00 for Half-Time received over the term and eligible for $3,097.50 Segal Education Award upon completion of all requirements and service term. Office space provided at Black Warrior Riverkeeper, though remote work is likely at least part of the time during the COVID pandemic. Please see http://www.pmsc.org/become-a-member/ for additional information about AmeriCorps service.
To apply: Please go to the Google form here which is hosted by our partners at Mobile Baykeeper. Upload a resume, cover letter, and a color copy of current driver’s license. Interviews will occur in August. For questions, email Charles Scribner, executive director of Black Warrior Riverkeeper, at firstname.lastname@example.org.