Kenya nationals: Project Officer (UNDP)
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the National Coordinator or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Project Officer - Baringo Portfolio will:
- Attend meetings, trainings and workshops at the landscape on behalf of GEF SGP
- Keep the SGP secretariat informed of the progress and challenges at the site
- Assist grantees to write progress and financial reports as per expectations of GEF SGP and submit them on time.
- Attend NSC meetings when called upon to do so, to give NSC members update of the progress of portfolio implementation at the landscape/seascape.
- Visit projects on a regular basis to monitor progress and assess accomplishment of milestones
- Engage grantee and communities in a mid-term review and an end-of-project evaluation.
- Work with strategic partner to (i) organize grantee workshops for experience exchange and information sharing as well as eco-fairs to display and communicate the outcomes of the complementary projects; (ii) organize field visits for SGP staff and key stakeholders; (iii) engage media personnel (TV and radio) for featuring SGP; (iv) produce quarterly and annual reports (v) mobilize grantees and communities to celebrate/observe international environment days, such as World Water Day; International Day of biodiversity, World Env Day, World Day to Combat Desertification, etc (vi) support the multi-stakeholder platform (vii) produce knowledge management material
- Any other tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
First level university degree in rural development/development studies, public policy, environmental/natural resource management studies, sociology; or related field.
Required experience: 36 Months
- Three (3) years of relevant experience working in rural areas on issues related to community development.
- At least 2 years of experience in addressing issues related agricultural development; environmental conservation; sustainable rural development is an asset.
- Experience in project management, particularly at community level.
- Experience in producing results-based management reports.
- High level of professionalism and maturity,
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills,
- Flexibility to work in harmony with staff members of different cultural backgrounds,
- Ability to function in a high pressure environment under tight deadlines,
- With a spirit of team work and initiative to produce assigned tasks with minimum supervision,
- Computer literacy in writing, spread sheets and presentations,
- Self-motivated and with organizational and analytical skills,
- This is a field-based position, located within the Lk. Bogoria production landscape, Baringo County.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Possession of a valid motorcycle license and a motor vehicle licence is a plus.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Development programme management, Community participation and development
Driving license: Yes
Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.