Senior WASH Engineer
Essential Job Responsibilities
Needs and technical assessment for all type of WASH infrastructure:
- To conduct need assessment for all water, sanitation infrastructure (Latrine, water supply system, water treatment units etc.) in targeted areas.
- In collaboration with WASH team participate in selection of targeted communities and ensure registration of beneficiaries for all water, sanitation infrastructure (Latrine, water supply system etc.) in targeted areas.
- To conduct technical assessment and feasibility survey for all water and sanitation infrastructure in targeted area.
- To ensure that WASH need assessment has gender and protection analysis included.
- To work with and support WASH officers/assistants in developing quality and professional design, drawing, BoQs, guidelines, implementation strategies related to water supply and sanitation technologies as & when required.
- Execute/monitor implementation of all WASH infrastructure activities as per implementation plan, BOQs, drawings and specifications.
- Support WASH in monitoring and supervising water trucking activities in the Community and ensure that effective implementation of the water trucking activities is maintained and all records kept up to date.
- Maintain material record at construction sites and also at the Mercy Corps warehouse, and ensure quality of all material arrived on all sites.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, and make the connection with the operations and finance to ensure their payments are done well on time.
- Identify project supplies needs. Provide feedback and input for the project supply plan on a monthly basis. Prepare and follow up supply requisitions in coordination with operation team to ensure materials arrive to work site in a timely manner.
- Taking timely program advances for labor payments and other activities and ensure they are timely settled with the Finance team.
- Ensure community participation in all WASH infrastructure activities.
- Ensure all WASH infrastructure activities are well coordinated with local authorities and all stakeholders, also ensure integration of engineering activities with hygiene promotion activities.
- Technical Training of WASH officers and assistants, WASH committees and volunteers on all aspects related to the water and sanitation activities in the Community including daily operation and maintenance mechanism where necessary.
- Regular visits to field areas to supervise all WASH infrastructure activities and ensuring quality (minimum Mercy Corps standards) of all WASH infrastructures.
- Ensure water quality analysis is conducted in field locations and update water quality reports; as well as propose recommendations for water treatment systems.
- Engage in procurement of WASH related materials, equipment, services, tools from Mercy Corps operations department as required. Occasionally to organize local purchasing and to keep accounts, this include raising Purchase Request (PR), stock requests, etc. in close liaison and coordination with operation and finance departments.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Ensure that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works are carried out according to BoQs, drawings and scope of works, quality standards established by Mercy Corps through quality checklists.
- Weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed.)
- Support WASH teams in conducting sanitary survey wherever necessary to evaluate and identify any likelihood of contamination of water supply system in the community
- Ensure that the program is reaching the targeted population and put in place feedback mechanism in coordination with MEAL department.
- Ensure that all relevant data based on the agreed format with MEAL are shared with the MEAL department on weekly basis through existing mechanisms such as mobile system (Mobenzi).
Reporting and Documentation:
- Support WASH team on preparation of weekly work plan including vehicle movement plan for WASH team in coordination with operation and security department to ensure safety of the staff and sharing with line manager.
- Preparation and compile all weekly, monthly activities progress report and field visit reports and sharing with line manager on timely manner.
- Ensure proper Record keeping for all WASH infrastructure activities in hard and soft form.
- To support WASH Program Manager for developing donor proposals, reports etc while necessary.
- Integration, coordination and transversal aspects
- Ensure that all engineering works are integrated and coordinated with hygiene promotion activities, as well as community participation/consultation, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other sectors of Mercy Corps e.g. EFSVL, Health, Nutrition & protection, in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
- In collaboration with the Monitoring & Evaluation team, and under the guidance of WASH Program Manager to developing and establishing an effective process and impact monitoring system for WASH works.
- Ensure the integration of gender, protection, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of WASH construction activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, the elderly and disabled.
- To perform any other work related tasks assigned by supervisor.
Coordination and representation
- Where requested act on occasion, as the local project manager in the absence of the WASH Program Manager.
- Coordinate WASH activities within Mercy Corps and external agencies. and if appropriate provide briefings to when requested
- Represent Mercy Corps at subnational level to other agencies and authorities, including the WASH cluster, Health Education where this is operating and at other inter-agency forums and where appropriate, play a lead role in developing WASH strategy and technical standards.
- When required support HR in WASH Engineer, Assistant, Community Mobilizer, community health volunteer’s recruitment, this includes writing Job description, interviews, etc.
- Ensure partner WASH staff are fully inducted in Mercy Corps ’s ways of working, Aims and Values.
- Provide capacity building to local Communities and volunteers implementing Mercy Corps programs
- Ensure WASH team at community level understand and adhere to Mercy Corps ’s Code of Conduct
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Supervisory Responsibility: WASH Engineer, Assistants, Non-MC staff (skilled and unskilled labor) at project sites
Reports Directly to: Program Manager
Works Directly with: Other Program Teams, MEL, Operations, Finance, Program Performance and Quality (PaQ), including the Technical Specialist.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor/Graduate degree in Civil engineering, Environmental or public health engineering or equivalent.
- Experience: Experience of minimum 4 years in the field of construction, including 2 years in WASH/shelter/infrastructure sector. Experience related to water & sanitation engineering in a humanitarian setting, including practical experience and knowledge on operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities in IDP or urban settings. Technical expertise should also include water quality analysis, design and/or construction of water and sanitation facilities.
- Proven experience of coordinating large WASH program. It is desirable that some of this should have been in emergency relief programs in similar positions.
- Experience with Health / hygiene promotion and integration with engineering activities.
- Excellent team work skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally
- Experience in the design and delivery of training or capacity building programs
- Practical knowledge in terms of masonry, plumbing, carpentry and pumping system.
- Knowledge of using Auto Cad or any other engineering software for designing of WASH facilities.
- Knowledge of preparation of estimates/BOQ
- Planning and organization skills
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations.
- Ability to listen and adapt
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good in speaking and writing English
- Perfect knowledge of local languages (Arabic, Kurdish, Turkmen)
- Community mobilization skills
- Computer literate, knowledge of Excel, Word and power point
- Yemeni Nationality
- Willing and Able to travel and work in conflict affected areas.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Commitment to Mercy Corps ’s mission, aims & objectives.
- Experience in NGO sector
- Fluent Oral and written English and Arabic languages.
Yes. Duty station: Taiz -Enclave
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Work-Life Balance: Inspired to perform well by having ample time to pursue work and interests outside of work
Job Security: Inspired to perform well by the knowledge that your job is safe
Flexibility: Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Bachelors or better.