A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work. For more than 70 years, we have helped bring to life groundbreaking projects across the globe.
We are truly global, and our 15,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion. We have over 600 staff working in Ireland based in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick.
Due to significant growth in our Water and Flood Risk Management Business in Ireland and internationally, we are currently recruiting for a Senior Hydrologist to join our Irish Flood Risk Management team. The role will support the delivery of a significant number of major flood risk management projects, flood relief schemes and other similar civil engineering projects – all of which have climate change adaptation and resilience as a core aim. A sound understanding of hydrological processes and analysis techniques is an essential success factor for these projects. Arup’s hydrology and hydraulic modelling teams provide this insight and play a key role in the development of sustainable solutions for a wide range of clients, including OPW, local authorities, major infrastructure providers and private sector clients.
Based in our Dublin office, the ideal candidate will be looking to further their career and gain invaluable experience within an established multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy in a position of responsibility within a friendly working environment.
This is a permanent role and offers the successful candidate long-term and international opportunities. The successful candidate will be involved in a diverse and challenging range of projects within the water/flood risk sector. He/she will help build our flood resilience offering in Ireland and as well as internationally. The role will involve leading on a range of technical tasks, mentoring and supervision of more junior staff members, as well as active engagement in skills capacity building in hydrological techniques across the firm.
Requirements and skills:
- Degree/MSc in hydrology or equivalent;
- Strong relevant professional experience
- Professional qualification (CEng, CSci, etc.) with one of IEI, CIWEM, ICE or equivalent, or working towards professional status;
- High level of competency with WINFAP, FEH, FSR, FSU, and similar industry methodologies of hydrological assessment
- Senior experience on flood risk and water resources projects in the UK or Ireland
- Passion for the environment and sustainability.
- Proven Track Record in managing, mentoring and training junior engineers
- Strong communicator and interpersonal skills
- Experienced in project appraisal and authoring technical reports, including
- Experience in preparing Strategic and Site Specific Flood Risk Assessments
- Preparing hydrology chapters for EIARs
- Proven team player with a proactive approach to work
Desirable skills and knowledge:
A solid understanding of complementary hydraulic modelling techniques and 1D-2D
- hydraulic modelling software packages including Mike, flood modeller, InfoWorks etc.
- Experience in the use of ArcGIS.
- Water Quality experience
What to expect at Arup
We offer a multicultural and informal international working environment where you can develop professionally by being part of a team of professionals who enjoy what they do:
- Be part of a company with a strong corporate culture committed to its values and aims: quality of work, holistic approach, humane organization, straight and honorable dealings, social usefulness and reasonable prosperity
- Short, long or educational assignments at Arup’s offices and projects anywhere in the world
- Continuous training and professional development that will allow you to adapt to the growing needs of our clients being in the midst of the digital transformation
- Employees at Arup are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme, dependent on the firm’s financial performance. Competitive performance based salary growth
- We offer a flexible Friday scheme. We are open to candidates seeking a more flexible working week including flexible start/finish times, planned working from home and offer the ability to purchase additional leave.
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
Shape your time with us
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
In light of the current coronavirus (COVID) we are continuously and frequently reviewing our recruitment and onboarding processes. The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and community is our top priority. We will be conducting any interviews via video conference and other digital collaboration tools during this time. As a firm, we will continuously adapt our approach in line with any government guidelines and regulations as this situation develops.