Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring the best and brightest who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with fifteen across the U.S.
The New York Office has undertaken campaigns to improve air and water quality, promote clean energy and transportation policies, and ensure that all state residents are protected from toxic substances. The Northeast Regional office currently has work focusing on clean energy, air quality, and oil and gas development, and water supply and quality. Our attorneys bring a mix of lawsuits under federal environmental laws such as the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and National Environmental Policy Act, as well as New York statutes like the State Environmental Quality Review Act and Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, to protect the environment and promote healthy communities.
We are now accepting applications for full-time legal externs for the next academic semester. We will typically choose externs 1 month prior to the start of the applicable semester. Applicants should indicate on their cover letter if they need a decision by a certain date. These positions are open in our New York office and expected to be a remote position as Earthjustice has temporarily closed offices and transitioned staff to remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic. All offices will remain closed through at least August 31, 2020 and applicants are expected to work on a variety of litigation projects for a minimum of 37.5 hours per week. We are seeking current law students who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment, and are eligible for receiving academic credit for the externship.
Legal externs work under the direct supervision of attorneys in the development and prosecution of litigation and other advocacy. Externs will participate in a wide range of tasks, including:
- Assisting in case investigation, legal research and discovery.
- Preparing memoranda, briefs and other legal documents for administrative and judicial proceedings.
- Currently enrolled in law school.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection or environmental justice.
- Excellent research, analytic and writing skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Initiative, creative thinking and the ability to work collegially with others.
- Significant knowledge of environmental and administrative law is a plus.
- Commitment of at least 37.5 hours a week.
Please note that this position does not offer compensation or benefits. We do offer academic credit.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter – In one page, address why you want to work for Earthjustice and any information about yourself that is not apparent or fully explained in the resume.
- Recent writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum of no more than 10 pages that primarily reflects your work.
- Unofficial law school transcript
- List of references, including at least one law professor or legal employer.
Applications are accepted and offers are made on a rolling basis, so please submit as soon as possible.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.