Maternity cover 12 months
We are looking for a Hydrologist to join our National team for a 12 month, part time, fixed term period providing Maternity Leave cover.
As Hydrologist you will apply a wide range of technical expertise, modelling solutions and knowledge to secure the effective and efficient management of water resources around the network. You will ensure we meet navigational and other water demands, whilst ensuring compliance with relevant legal, environmental and operational constraints.
As Hydrologist you will deliver specialist hydrological support and/or modelling to the organisation and external customers, achieving proportionate management of flood risk to and from the waterway network.
Knowledge, Skills/Qualifications & Experience
About the role:
- Under supervision of Principal and Senior Hydrologists, provide specialist advice on water management issues, to Waterway units and central teams. Support Hydrologists and Water Engineers to ensure that water management requirements and concerns are accounted for in any planned engineering works or other projects. Assist in providing specialist support to simple/moderate complexity restoration and new canal projects, to quantify water resource supply/demand issues and address flood risk management concerns.
- Assist in the production of weekly water budgets and undertake routine water resource reporting, following agreed procedure(s), liaising with Waterway operational staff to ensure effective water use to meet customer needs.
- Effectively manage small scale technical water management projects ensuring delivery to agreed time and budget, working outside in all weathers. Work within CRT and partner's policies and procedures with particular reference to health & safety and environment & heritage issues.
- Under supervision, provide hydrological data/analysis/modelling, responses and advice (simple/straightforward) to the required quality and timeliness set out in team procedures to external bodies e.g. Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, to ensure CRT’s interests and reputation are both promoted and protected.
- Contribute to modelling, research and development projects within area of expertise, and make recommendations, under supervision of Senior/Principal Hydrologists.
- Assist Principal and Senior Hydrologists with the production of national plans, policies and guidance.
You will be a Graduate with a relevant Discipline (e.g. Geography, Earth Sciences, Environmental Management, Hydrology) or equivalent
Your wider interest and involvement in a professional body may be evident from membership & activities such as mentoring, branch committee, technical panel, special interest group
It is important that you can evidence comprehensive work experience in a specialised field of hydrology/water resources management/hydrometry/ hydrological and/or hydraulic modelling, and in handling, manipulating and presenting hydrometric/spatial data and information
In addition to the above, you will:
- Demonstrate some relevant experience (e.g. hydrological principles, training, academic modules)
- Some experience of handling hydrometric/spatial data and information
- Awareness, knowledge and understanding of hydrological processes and models.
- Computer literate in MS Office.
- Some experience in managing small technical projects or well-defined projects.
- Good level of written communication skills and numerical ability.
- Basic presentation skills
- Ability to manage own time effectively, prioritising tasks and seeking guidance where appropriate.
- Awareness of CRT governance, systems of compliance, relevant/applicable standards and processes.
- Awareness of key regulatory and legislative frameworks affecting CRT water management (e.g. Water Resources Act, Water Act, F&WM Act)
- Some experience of basic, relevant CRT or comparable customer service standards and expectations
- Valid driving licence - you will be required to provide support across our waterway network .
What We Offer
This vacancy is based from our Hatton Office (near Warwick)
In addition to your basic annual salary, you will benefit from a competitive contributory DC Pension scheme arrangement, excellent holidays and numerous other employee benefits.
We aim to represent the diverse communities we are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us
If you’d like to find out more about the role, please get in touch with email@example.com