Jal Seva Charitable Foundation (JSCF) is a company incorporated under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 (Section 8 under the Companies Act, 2013) with CIN U85100DL2010NPL200169, having its registered Office at 2nd Floor, New Block, RK Khanna Tennis Stadium, DLTA Complex, 1 Africa Avenue, New Delhi – 110 029. JSCF is an associate member of the WaterAid International, and works under the brand name “WaterAid India”.
WaterAid India is seeking to select a dynamic person as a full-time employee, who is expected to lead or support, as required, its various research, knowledge generation and dissemination activities as well as other advocacy initiatives on policies, primarily around the thematic area of drinking water (and allied issues) and their linkages to well-being, sanitation, hygiene, the environment, climate change and disasters. The candidate may also be assigned with responsibilities of other WASH policy themes and activities as well, whenever necessary.
4. Key Responsibilities
- Coordinate WaterAid India’s work on policies around safe and sustainable drinking water, both in rural and urban contexts, using research, evidence-based policy work and other engagement strategies. The emphasis will be on the most marginalised communities.
- Undertake regular political economy analysis (PEA) on safe drinking water and allied themes, in order to identify and act on policy priorities under the thematic area, or to respond to ongoing policy developments that are relevant to the thematic area
- Building on the PEA, identify annual priorities for policy advocacy on the thematic area and allied themes, with inputs from policy team members, program leads and other relevant thematic verticals of WaterAid India
- Prepare, finalise and successfully implement annual plans and budgets for policy and advocacy initiatives of WaterAid India on the thematic area and allied themes
- Undertake end-to-end policy research on relevant topics under the thematic area, prepare study reports and policy briefs, disseminate results to relevant stakeholders and lead policy uptake of the findings as well as recommendations
- Identify and undertake documentation of best practices that can act as evidence for policy around the thematic area, from within and outside WaterAid India’s interventions
- Support or lead, as required, state level policy advocacy initiatives on the thematic area, as initiated or supported by the WaterAid India’s regional offices
- Represent WaterAid India, as required, in conferences, meetings, seminars etc and present research knowledge as well as organisational positions
- Prepare and share timely knowledge and data updates on critical topics for the thematic area, including organising regular talks and seminars/webinars on relevant topics and presenting
- Lead or support, as required, development of proposals towards advancing action under the thematic area, and liaise with potential donors whenever necessary, in collaboration with WaterAid India’s resource mobilisation vertical
- Support WaterAid India’s media interventions under the thematic area- which includes preparing content, writing articles or blogs, and represent WaterAid India in print, electronic and visual media as required, in close coordination with the media and communications vertical of WaterAid India
- Contribute through regular reporting and writing to WaterAid India’s data as well as knowledge repository, in coordination with WaterAid India’s PMER/ knowledge management vertical
- Coordinate with WaterAid’s south Asia regional office regularly and to represent WaterAid India in the thematic area as part of the regional initiatives. Similarly, coordinate with the offices of WaterAid in various countries as required.
- Support leads of other thematic areas under the policy vertical in specific activities and team initiatives, wherever required.
- Support Head of Policy, WaterAid India, in various team activities such as periodic reporting of the work under the thematic area and of the policy team, and in tasks around responding to some of the requests or queries from government organisations, development partners, or WaterAid in other countries, from time to time.
- Performing any other tasks, as assigned by the line manager.
5. Eligibilities and requirements
We prefer candidates with a Post graduate (or equivalent) qualification, preferably in one of the following areas: public policy, environmental science, water/natural resource management, law, economics; additional research qualification such as M.Phil or PhD in relevant topics will be an added advantage.
3 to 10 years of relevant experience, with not less than 3 years of research experience, in a similar organisational/functional context. Experience in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and allied sectors will be an added advantage. Experience criteria will be suitably relaxed for candidates with M.Phil or PhD in areas related to water Policy and governance.
- In depth understanding of water policy and governance in India, with specific reference to safe drinking water.
- Understanding of various systems and processes in the WASH and allied sectors
- Pro-activeness and self-motivation, capability to engage persuasively with government officials, media and a wide range of other stakeholders
- Understanding and experience of methods and processes for conducting policy research, and ability to conduct rapid research using qualitative, quantitative as well as mixed methods
- Strong analytical, writing, presentation and communication skills- including the motivation and interest for preparing quick summaries, notes, memos and blogs
- Excellent language proficiency, both written and oral, in English and Hindi. Knowledge of other Indian languages of the states where WaterAid India works will be an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and networking skills; ability to work effectively in a complex and politically sensitive policy environment
- Sensitive and respectful to multiple and diverse cultures, able to collaborate with diverse set of actors
- Ability to multi-task and to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment and a complex organisational structure.
- Ability to plan, organise and conduct meetings, seminars, workshops and other public events
- Ability and willingness to undertake extensive travel
- To apply please download the attached application form. Kindly note that ONLY applications submitted on WaterAid's standard application form will be considered.
- Completed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date: 10th August 2020
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be intimated of the interview
Please attach, one page covering letter on how you will be an ideal person to be selected for this position, narrate your relevant experiences and interests that would be highly beneficial in fulfilling the responsibilities as given in the JD, in the context of Jal Jeevan Mission.
JSCF, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on organisational needs and priorities, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, ethnic origin, gender, age, or sexual orientation.