Principal Water Supply and Sanitation Officer
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities. The RDVP ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries (RMCs) and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates. The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa”. The Complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION(S):
The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s. The Department consists of three Divisions: AHWS.1 for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS.2 for water security and sanitation, as well as the African Water Facility (AWF). AHWS leads the preparation and implementation of water sector Non-Sovereign Operations (NSOs). It also supports regional hubs in operations and in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
The position of Principal Water Supply and Sanitation Officer based in Gabon has the following objectives:
- Contribute to attainment of national/regional water and sanitation agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including ensuring universal access to water and sanitation and improving water quality to enhance the quality of life for the people;
- Liaise with stakeholders in the RMCs, work closely with regional platforms and other complexes dealing with water issues, while contributing to the appropriate management of technical knowledge and guidance on affordable water supply services and sanitation technologies and approaches;
- Provide assistance to RMCs in understanding and applying Bank Group’s operational procedures relating to loan administration, and procurement of goods and services.
- Develop and manage the portfolio in the sub-region in accordance with the Bank's policy by identifying projects and consulting with governments, the various stakeholders in RMCs and other Technical and Financial Partners (TFPs).
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Sector Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Provide technical advice/assistance to RMCs to develop their water and sanitation sector;
- Contribute to the development of the Bank Group Water and Sanitation Sector policy and provide technical advice/guidance to introduce and monitor the implementation of the policy.
- Identify, prepare and evaluate water and sanitation projects and programmes, together with multisector projects and programmes in Gabon and central region;
- Identify and coordinate the co-financing needs of the country/region’s projects/programmes and make funding proposals;
- Supervise portfolio projects in accordance with Bank rules and procedures;
- Perform project completion missions with a view to preparing project completion reports;
- Conduct project preparation and appraisal missions in the water and sanitation sector;
- Provide guidance in the region to supervise staff, monitor the portfolio, the loan programme and the Division's indicators;
- Support the Manager of Division in monitoring and achieving the target indicators, and in monitoring projects managed by other colleagues;
- Represent the Division and the Department in meetings and events related to the water and sanitation sector within the Bank, and externally;
- At least a Master's or equivalent degree in Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Supply, Sanitation, or related discipline. Knowledge of project management is an asset for the position;
- Minimum six (6) years of proven and relevant professional experience in monitoring and managing water and sanitation projects, especially in Africa;
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of the activities of other multilateral and bilateral institutions that finance the water and sanitation sector;
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of the challenges of the water and sanitation sector, and ability to support RMCs in designing appropriate projects and programmes in the sector;
- Show good professional experience in water and sanitation project development, and technical support for projects;
- Possess strong experience working in a multicultural environment and leading project preparation and appraisal teams;
- Demonstrate strong ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams for project preparation and evaluation;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint etc.); Knowledge of SAP is an advantage.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.