U.S. nationals: Student Trainee (Hydrology)
General Information: In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
Salary: GS-03 $27,800 (Step 01) to $36,138 (Step 10); GS-04 $31,208 (Step 01) to $40,569 (Step 10);
GS-05 $34,916 (Step 01) to $45,393 (Step 10).
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
The USGS Oklahoma Texas Water Science Center is seeking (associate, undergraduate, graduate level) student working towards a degree in (Hydrology) to gain practical experience in (scientific Instrumentation, hydrology sampling, water quality, etc.).
As a Student Trainee (Hydrology) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of Hydrology.
- Collects and properly archives stream-flow discharge, ground-water elevation and water-quality data.
- Performs stream-flow and water-qualify gage operation and maintenance.
- Installs, maintains, services and assists in the configuration of variety of sensing, recording and communications equipment and instrumentation.
- Constructs new data collection sites and field structures.
- Operates a motor vehicle as an incident driver.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work is physically demanding and includes walking, bending, climbing and lifting of equipment up to 100 pounds when in the field, sometimes during adverse weather conditions. Work performed in the office is sedentary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is primarily performed outdoors, and involves moderate or sometimes extreme exposure to the discomforts of rain, cold/hot weather, and rapidly running or icy streams and rivers. Special safety precautions are required in many cases, and the employee typically wears life jackets, special safety boots, waders, and reflective rain gear.