This position requires the Specialist to (1) research and fill current gaps in the Climate Wise concept draft and (2) to clearly understand the broad picture of an ambitious, national and international climate program, as well as effectively communicating its need, purpose and potential impact in clear, concise and convincing formats. This position will also require administrative acumen to schedule meetings, meet deadlines and anticipate potential challenges.
This role is a temporary role, lasting approximately 3+ months.
Scan of other international climate programs and define best practices:
- Research and consolidate existing climate action programs from other international organizations and create a SWOT analysis for each. Compile and maintain a database of climate action programs that shows reach, budget, geography, audiences and other important metrics.
- Identify potential partnerships for Climate Wise with other organizations to fill gaps, extend the reach and multiply impact.
- Create a high-level presentation to provide ClimateWise colleagues with a comprehensive overview of existing programs and the Specialist’s recommendation for synergies and partnerships.
Finalize ClimateWise concept:
- Meet with established ClimateWise sub-groups to address remaining questions/gaps in current ClimateWise concept documents and estimate resources required.
- Identify ClimateWise’s main value proposition in the Canadian and international climate action contexts.
- Liaise with other potential partners who can provide inputs into the development of the program – maintain a database of these potential partners.
- Assist with the creation of a preliminary budget for the future planning and execution of the ClimateWise program based on best available understanding of proposed activities and required resources.
- Adjust the concept in preparation for the big federal Climate Education funding coming out in the summer, the Environmental Damages Fund and other funding opportunities planning to fit a national level education program, as well as a program of global reach that goes beyond youth, and includes businesses too. Present to ClimateWise task force for final refinement and approval.
Create fundraising materials and proposals:
- Create a comprehensive fundraising document (executive summary, etc) and effective presentation that compellingly conveys the need, purpose and impact of ClimateWise. Other deliverables and formats may be requested by Development. At least two versions tentatively anticipated:
- One for the youth component of ClimateWise, in line with a national education program to grow internationally.
- One for the components of that target two additional audiences: 1. beyond 14-24 years, and 2. businesses, in consultation with Development.
- Present to Development and Marketing teams for further refinement and finalization.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of two years’ experience in program design, fundraising, marketing, and research or a related field, ideally in the field of conservation.
- Knowledge of climate change and citizen action an asset.
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent experience desired. Further professional fundraising/grant writing/climate change training and experience is preferred.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud an asset.
- Experience creating professional presentations an asset.
- Experience writing and/or evaluating $2M+ proposals/grants.
- Experience in multiple contexts, including organizations, government, schools, youth agencies or civic institutions.
- Excellent written/verbal/interpersonal communications skills, particularly as they relate to creating funding documents and presentations.
- Detail oriented and ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Strong understanding of the building and implementation of large programs.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of professionalism and respond positively to change
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively work with various staff and external stakeholders;
- Solid grasp of contemporary pedagogy, conservation education, citizen action & behaviour change are assets;
- Excellent project management and time management skills with the ability to keep on task with strategic items while managing day-to-day responsibilities;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;