Associate (Sustainable Development & Global Policy)
The Associate, Sustainable Development & Global Policy will provide cross-cutting policy, research, and events support to the Global Policy team in New York, with tasks including the coverage of pertinent UN meetings, particularly those related to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; drafting summaries of key UN reports for internal dissemination; and assisting with the planning and execution of webinars/convenings related to the team’s mandate. The Associate will support the strategic work to build out a stronger and more cohesive SDG portfolio for UNF, including supporting other UNF teams on their SDG related work and adding new partners and initiatives.
The Associate, Sustainable Development & Global Policy will report to the Executive Director, Sustainable Development & Global Policy and will operate as a member of the Global Policy team in the New York Office.
The Global Policy team will benefit from the support of this consultant by having greater capacity for policy tracking and coverage of the UN's work and activities, which helps to inform the Foundation’s efforts to support its UN partners as well as adding to the capacity of the team in a process of strategic and forward-looking positioning for UNF around the SDGs.
- Cover UN meetings and side events relevant to UN Foundation priorities and draft readouts on key themes/takeaways.
- Tracking and reporting on main discussions in the UN, with a specific focus on SDG related discussions, Building Back Better in the era of COVID-19 and discussions around the future of multilateralism and UN reform.
- Monitor news and blogs on UN issues to help staff stay abreast of UN activities and key upcoming meetings and events.
- Help track key development in UN bodies such as the General Assembly and ECOSOC.
- Assist in compiling weekly UN update emails for internal circulation.
- Support research and draft background documents and meeting briefs.
- Participate in internal team meetings and provide support when necessary.
- Assist with preparation, execution, and follow-up of UN Foundation events and meetings.
- Undertake special projects as directed by the Global Policy team.
- Support the build out of UNF’s engagement with civil society partners, including War Room partners and others, including from the communication groups.
- Support on outreach and engagement with Member States and other partners on events and other activities.
- Support and guidance to the strategic work around building a more cohesive SDG portfolio and footprint for UNF, including liaising with other UNF teams engaged in the space.
- Support on administrative matters and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree as well as significant coursework and demonstrated interest in the UN and International Affairs – interest in Global Health, Sustainability, International Development and/or the non-profit sector highly preferred.
- Strong research, writing, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter – while also contributing to a strong team environment.
- Experience with supporting the planning and execution of events.
- Fast and organized learner with attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.