Water Security Volunteer Intern
Duration: 3 months - starting August 2020
Days per week: We will be flexible in our approach and discuss your volunteering hours with you.
Established a decade ago, CDP’s innovative Water Security initiative has driven a step change in the way in which the private sector engages with water issues. As we turn our sights to the future, we are seeking a dynamic individual to work alongside the Water Security team to undertake research and develop insights needed to deliver CDP’s Water Security Strategy globally.
The internship programme
Given the current pandemic it may not be possible to work from our London office for some or all of the internship. Applicants should therefore be prepared to seek access to a quiet space with internet access to work from. We will discuss working arrangements with all candidates and seek to meet needs as far as possible.
All our volunteer interns will be assigned to a volunteer intern supervisor and will receive an induction, on-the-job training, coaching and one-to-one support. On successful completion of their placement, volunteer interns can request a reference.
Interns will get an insight into how an international environmental NGO operates with the opportunity to attend meetings and ask questions.
Role, purpose and background
You will be responsible for supporting the upgrade of our Water Impact Matrix, an innovative tool which has the potential to drive investor action on water issues. The tool is based on scientific research and ranks industrial activities according to their impact on water quantity and quality at different stages in their value chains.
The tool is currently used to identify the most impactful companies that we ask to respond to CDP’s water questionnaire. We are developing the tool further so that it can be used by investors to pinpoint the most impactful parts of their portfolios from a water perspective.
This is a crucial part of our ambition to ensure investors are more aware of water issues within their investment portfolios and can therefore make sound investment decisions, driving meaningful corporate action on water use.
Key skills/tasks include
- Your role will be to upgrade our Water Impact Matrix tool by:
- conducting research into the impacts of specific private sector activities on water quantity and quality and condensing this into a series of clear and concise “rationales” for the matrix;
- ensuring consistency in ranking different private sector activities; and
- suggesting and implementing ideas to improve the format and structure of the matrix.
- The role will also involve exposure to other areas of CDP’s and the Water Security team’s work through contributing to team meetings, attending webinars, and performing other tasks to support the team’s strategy. These would depend on the needs of the team and the skills of the candidate but could include reviewing our written outputs and undertaking analysis of data from our water questionnaire.
Required skills and competencies
- Demonstratable experience and expertise in desk-based research, including literature reviews.
- High attention to detail – including spotting inconsistencies and gaps within qualitative data.
- Expertise in water security and pollution issues, and an understanding of CDP’s unique contribution to the challenge.
- An understanding of the impacts of different types of private sector activities on water.
- An ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Demonstrable pride in delivering high quality products and an eye for detail.
- Good experience of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Fluency in English.
Desirable skills and competencies
- Experience of using and maintaining databases.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills.
- An understanding of the private sector approaches to addressing water security and pollution issues.
- An understanding of the global financial service sector and its impact on water security.
- An understanding of the corporate reporting landscape and investor expectations around water security.
This is not a salaried position. We will cover your lunch expenses in line with our expenses policy. Lunch expenses will only be provided on days where over 3.5 hours volunteering have been completed.
How to apply
Interested applicants must be eligible to volunteer legally in the UK.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and competencies, which should be no more than two pages, to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Water Security Intern” in the subject. The deadline is 7th August at midday.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.