WASH Project Manager
Field based position is based in Jonglei State, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
September 2020. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Manage the implementation and coordination of all WASH activities in the project location. Providing management, strategic direction, management and monitoring of the WASH project in Jonglei. Manages relationships with local WASH actors.
Jonglei State is affected by multiple humanitarian crises including inter-communal violence, displacement, food insecurity, flooding, and locusts. In accordance with its humanitarian mandate, Medair plans to open a new static site to provide emergency health, nutrition, and WASH interventions in Jonglei State. The new project team will be tasked with completing needs assessments in two counties, finalizing the areas and sectors of intervention and scaling up emergency response over an initial two-year cycle.
Key Activity Areas
- Lead initial needs assessments and mapping of WASH services and gaps in counties in Jonglei State to determine the location of intervention. Implement the launch of initial WASH activities and the scale-up of WASH activities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant WASH actors (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) in the new location.
- Attend the regular state-level Ministry of Water and WASH Cluster meetings. Proactively network the state-level WASH Cluster and other WASH actors and monitor gaps in WASH services provision in the chosen location.
- Review and update Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understandings, and other agreements in place with UN agencies, government ministries, and NGO partners relating to WASH work.
- Accountable for the management of all gift-in-kind WASH supplies and regular reporting on gift-in-kind stocks.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair policy and compliant with Medair, donor, South Sudan and international guidelines; with the Project Coordinator, follow the guidance of the WASH Advisor regarding WASH programme quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Responsible for monitoring progress against set WASH indicators, with the Project Coordinator and WASH Advisor.
- Work with Project Coordinator and WASH Advisor to improve the quality of the WASH project activities.
- Collaborate with the M&E Team to facilitate annual Knowledge, Practices, and Coverage (KPC) surveys.
- Line manage WASH Managers and WASH Officers.
- Use Medair HR tools to support professional development and to build the capacity of the staff across the team.
- Make decisions on staff planning and movement in and out of the field. Coordinate and approve RnRs and holidays for staff. Conduct staff appraisals and enforce disciplinary policies for positions directly managed.
- Look for training for all staff with the WASH Advisor, emergency response training opportunities to the role.
- Interview potential national and international staff, make recommendations for final hiring decisions.
- Final authority for all WASH requests going to the logs and finance departments.
- Work with Juba and Jonglei Logistics teams to prevent stock outages and ensure stock requests, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted appropriately in Juba.
- Monitor expiry dates of gift-in-kind & stocks. Facilitate safe disposal & report losses to Juba management & donors.
- Draft annual budgets for WASH projects. Review and approve all project expenditures and expense coding. Ensure proper financial procedures are followed by the WASH team.
- Manage the assigned project budget and track expenses against project budgets, working with the Project Coordinator and finance officer to address issues of over or under-spending.
- Support the development of Security Risk Assessments and Security Plans for interventions in new project areas.
- Monitoring security situation for teams traveling to field locations, gathering information from various sources and feeding back important information to the Project Coordinator and Medair management.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
Reporting and Communications
- Complete monthly situation reports (sitreps). Provide programme data for donor reports to the funding manager and WASH Advisor prior to submission to donors. Responsible for open communication regarding project planning and implementation with the Project Coordinator, WASH Advisor, and other key staff.
- Provide photographs for the Communications Officer, Project Coordinator to provide to donors and for fundraising purposes. Ensure that good relationships are maintained and that Medair’s mandate and values are understood.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a field relevant to WASH-related field (eg. civil engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Additional studies (Masters’ degree, or professional short-courses) in water engineering, environmental/ public health, international development or humanitarian context desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year of management experience. 1 year of overseas experience in an emergency context.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software/training (behaviour change communication).
- Understanding of the links between the hardware (water, sanitation facilities) and behaviour change.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS & international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.