The Department of Civil Engineering and Natural Hazards, Institute of Mountain Risk Engineering at BOKU University is currently seeking a Postgraduate Research Associate (project employment).
Extent of employment: 30 hours per week
Duration of employment: 1st of August 2020, limited to 31st of December 2021
Workplace: Peter Jordanstr. 82, 1190 Vienna
Gross monthly salary and pay grade in terms of collective agreement for university staff (payable 14 times per year): B1, € 2.196,80
We are seeking a motivated PhD student to work in the project "Mobile sensor & monitoring Platform".
- Further development of the radar unit with regard to: surface speed of sediment water mixtures and debris flow
- Deduction of warning threshold
- Further development of hard- and software for rapid mobile installation
- Collaborating participation in the HRSM project
- Support of project management
- Publishing of the result in scientific journals
- Participating in training courses, workshops and conferences
Required skills and qualifications
- Master's degree in Mountain Risk Engineering or related disciplines
- Understanding of physics and mechanics in mass move processes in torrents with a focus on debris flows
- Data Science: data processing, evaluation and visualization (MatLAB, etc.)
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Radar technology: experience in handling and using a mobile HF radar; experience with signal processing in high frequency technology and the resulting alarm generation for potentially dangerous mass transfer processes. Coupling with other monitoring and warning systems
- Digital Particle Image Velocimetry (DPIV): experience in media technology for processing video material for further analysis by DPIV
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna seeks to increase the number of its female faculty and staff members. Therefore qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualification, female candidates will be given preference unless reasons specific to an individual male candidate tilt the balance in his favour.
Please send your job application to the Personnel department, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, 1190 Vienna, Peter-Jordan-Straße 70; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Reference code: 113)
We regret that we cannot reimburse applicants travel and lodging expenses incurred as part of the selection and hiring process.