Senior Program Manager (USAID Strengthening Watershed and Irrigation Management (SWIM))
DT Global is a fast-growing international development organization that focuses on improving the capability, capacity, and effectiveness of development programming in complex global environments. Working across a variety of sectors – including Economic Growth, Environment & Infrastructure, Governance, Human Development, and Stabilization & Transition - we provide world class program management, design, analysis, and monitoring and evaluation services.
Built on the strengths, knowledge, and 50+ years of experience from AECOM International Development, Development Transformations, and the Global Peace and Development Charitable Trust, we have a global ecosystem – including a non-profit partner, the DT Institute – working together to develop cutting edge solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. With corporate offices in the USA, Spain and Australia, in addition to project field offices in over 90 countries around the world, DT Global implements projects funded from a wide array of clients, including USAID, EU, DFAT, NC, MFAT, DFID and other public and private stakeholders. We value learning, research, and rapid program adaptation in response to changing realities on the ground. Together with our global team of experts, we are building technical capabilities across sectors in order to deliver high-quality interventions and transform lives around the world. For more information please see: DT Global.
DT Global is seeking a Senior Program Manager (SPM) to serve as a mid-level manager of the home office program management unit (PMU). USAID’s Strengthening Watershed and Irrigation management (SWIM) aims to support sustainable, agriculture-led economic growth by increasing the sustainable and productive use of water livelihoods, and strengthening water resource management. The project focuses on three components: increase productive and sustainable use of water in agriculture; strengthen the water regulatory framework; and strengthen capacity of local entities to manage water resources. Activities include support of farmers and farm communities to manage their water and on-farm resources, and support of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) in strengthening water resource management.
The SPM manages client contracts, supports project field operations, coordinates home office project management and provides technical leadership in relation to implementation and new business pursuits. The Senior Program Manager manages overall operational, contractual and financial management of the SWIM project and management of field office operational staff. As designated engagement manager for project contracts, s/he serves as DT Global’s home office operational representative to client technical representatives and contracting officers as well as the overall leader for implementation of the project contract. The SPM will lead the home office PMU and all home office activities, ensuring effective and efficient coordination between the home office and field operations. The SPM is responsible for supervising Program Managers, providing guidance, training, and coaching as part of the PMU.
The SPM also plays a lead role in advancing technical excellence for practice disciplines both in support of project implementation through work planning and project oversight, but also in sharing project outcomes and best practices through participation in technical events and communities of practice, as well as development of technical materials. The SPM also has business development responsibilities, leading capture and proposal efforts, including information gathering, developing technical approaches, identifying key personnel, partnering and proposal development. The SPM will report to a director Director, Afghanistan Portfolio.
Project Delivery and Technical Excellence
- Responsible for overall project management and technical delivery for the SWIM project in line with work plans; from award through closeout, including contractual compliance, financial management, and oversight of project personnel and subcontractors.
§ Serve as primary problem solver for the project and is the Chief of Party’s counterpart in the Home Office.
- Responsible for overseeing all home and field office collaboration activities and ensures effective and efficient coordination between the home office and field operations.
- Serve as a DT Global representative to USG clients at senior levels throughout the project life cycle, including startup and closeout meetings; regular correspondence regarding implementation progress; as-needed problem solving; and delivering presentations on the project to a variety of actors.
- May supervise Chief of Party of designated program, including regularly discussing program performance and challenges, and conducting annual performance evaluations.
- Support project start-ups and closeouts as needed, including regularly traveling to the field to support project initiatives and backfill project leadership, as necessary.
- Monitor consultant and subcontractor performance; ensure agreements and deliverables are achieved and performance timelines are met.
- In conjunction with the contract specialists, takes accountability for project processes including contractual quality assurance and compliance.
- Ensures that technical work plans are executed by providing technical oversight;
- Train, coach and supervise Program Manager(s).
- Manage team dynamics and workload; communicate with senior management regarding resource needs.
- Oversee submission of all project deliverables to DEC or the Prime Contractor and proper archiving.§ Supports PMU’s efforts to ensure financial goals are met.
- Assume a lead role in the capture of new business through the planning, capture and bid phases
- Lead scoping and information gathering trips for anticipated and live proposals and guide staff and consultants supporting research efforts.
- Lead proposal development, including technical approach, staffing, and partnering strategies and negotiations, and decisions on information gathering trips, and oversee cost development
- Prepare technical, management and personnel sections of proposal
Leadership and Staff Management
§ Provide guidance and mentorship to staff
§ Create a collaborative environment that empowers staff to demonstrate the values of DT Global each day;
- Coach direct reports on performance improvement across the full spectrum of program management, business development, and practice management; and,
§ Set an example as a leader by holding yourself and staff accountable, communicating professionally, being a team player, and supporting the development of staff.
Thought leadership, Learning and Innovation
§ Advance technical excellence for practice disciplines by sharing project outcomes and best practices through participation in technical events and communities of practice, as well as development of technical materials.
§ Proactively engage in self-driven professional development and growth activities through participation in technical meetings and more formal educational activities.
§ Contribute to DT Global’s learning agenda and innovation efforts by developing thought pieces
§ Incorporate learning best practices into all aspects of work for broad organizational learning.
Education and Experience, Minimum Qualifications:
§ Bachelor’s degree in related field, including International Relations, Political Science, Engineering, Science, Business, International Development, or relevant work experience required.
§ A minimum of 8-10 years direct USAID project management and technical support experience, responsible for overseeing technical project delivery
§ Experience successfully leading new business development initiatives across the full range of activities from capture to proposal development
§ A minimum of 4 years staff supervisory experience
§ Extensive knowledge of USAID and other donor regulations and policies (including AIDAR and FAR), especially as they relate to contracting and procurement.
§ Extensive experience managing multiple large programs, including overseeing complicated budgets.
§ Proven experience with MS Office applications Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
§ Ability to serve as in-country Acting Chief of Party or other key personnel position in the event of a vacancy or absence.
§ Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work independently and effectively to lead multiple teams.
§ Strong communication, financial management and leadership skills.
§ Knowledge of U.S. foreign policy in target geographies.
Ability to travel and work overseas on short term technical assignments up to 25%, at times with very short notice.
A minimum of 4 years of Afghanistan experience, either in country or managing programs from a home office.
§ Master’s degree in related field preferred, including International Relations, Political Science, Engineering, Science Business, International Development, or relevant work experience.
§ Long-term field experience working outside the US, particularly in developing countries.
§ 5-7 years staff management experience.
§ Fluency in Arabic, Dari or Pashto
§ Experience managing project start-ups and/or closedowns
Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
Diversity and Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.