Bangladesh nationals: Safely Management On-Site Sanitation
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The objective of this pilot phase study in Bangladesh is to explore the different stages in safely managed on-site sanitation (SMOSS) systems across the country including safe storage of fecal containments, safe emptying and transportation, treatment and safe disposal of fecal sludge and liquid effluent. The study will create scope in streamlining the indicators to be used in future surveys and monitoring regarding SMOSS systems and will document the challenges and limitations. Although nationwide surveys are conducted on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) using different methodologies; those are limited to storage.
The pilot will focus on both rural and urban locations, including different geographical conditions across the country. Sampling will include areas such as City Corporations (CC), municipal towns and rural areas. The sampling frame will be taken from four areas covering geographical locations including high water scarcity areas, climate change affected coastal areas, Haor and hard to reach areas, and hill tracts’ tribal cultural areas. At each of the area’s samples will be taken from both rural locations and urban municipalities. Sample from two CCs (mega city and non-mega city) will be included in the broader sampling frame.
For implementation of the SMOSS survey, two committees (a steering committee and a technical committee) have already been formed together with all sanitation program implementation partners and actors from Government departments, Universities/institutions, INGOs, and NGOs.
Under this assignment, recruited consultant will work closely with national SMOSS Technical Committee to undertaking following tasks:
- Design and Finalize SMOSS Country level Survey Methodology
- Supervise Field Team to conduct the field data collection
- Survey Data Analysis
- Draft Bangladesh SMOSS Survey Finding
- Draft Bangladesh SMOSS Report
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced university degree in one of the mentioned areas: Social Science (biostatistics) or Public Health Engineering, Business Administration or a field relevant to WASH related development assistance.
- At least 15 years’ experience in development field, preferably over 10 years in the water and sanitation sector (UN or international development agency, donor, government regulatory body, research or academic institution or the private sector);
- Well conversant with global policies and strategies of the water supply and sanitation sector.
- Extensive experiences working in Bangladesh WASH context;
- Extensive experience in organizing and facilitating meetings/workshops/seminars;
- Familiarization with the policy environment of Bangladesh, the challenges within the WASH sector and the capacities of various stakeholders, would be considered an asset.
- Extensive experiences in leading WASH study design, sampling design, field implementation, supervising and quality assurance to measure the technical implementation of the UNICEF WASH program
- Lead and coordinate data analysis efforts involving multiple analysts, author findings reports, and disseminate results nationally and internationally
- Design and implement qualitative assessments to add in-depth data to quantitative surveys and increase the relevance and effectiveness of WASH Programs
- Significant experience with data analysis or working with statistical software required, with Stata preferred
- Work together with the National and International Collaborators, and organizational leadership to plan and execute the study and agenda and present findings.
- Good interpersonal, leadership and management skills in implementing multi-party development projects.
- Well conversant with the development programme aspects of water supply and sanitation;
- Working experience with donors funded Government projects/organization/international NGOs
- Good written and spoken English.
- Computer skills especially in word processing, spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation is preferred.
- Good written and spoken English.
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are...
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Opening Date Tue Jul 07 2020 23:00:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Bangladesh Standard Time
Closing Date Wed Jul 15 2020 13:55:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time