Postdoc Urban Water Management
We are looking for
We are looking for a bright and inspiring Post Doc researcher in the field of urban water system modelling to work at the chair group of Environmental Technology (http://www.ete.wur.nl/UK/). Your research will focus on predicting the consequences and impact of emerging urban water infrastructural transitions (such as green-blue infrastructure, decentralized sanitation, etc) on urban water quantity and quality dynamics in Amsterdam via geo-spatial and hydraulic modelling.
The project aims to elucidate the benefits and impacts of urban water infrastructure transitions on the dynamics of urban water system, both in terms of quantity and quality. You will work on understanding the hydraulics within several nature-based/blue-green infrastructure. You will develop a geo-spatial model based on this understanding to simulate the dynamic of urban water systems using existing data and cases in Amsterdam. You will be interacting with several on-going PhDs working on urban system modelling. As such, you will play an important role within the urban system engineering (USE) group of our chair group. As a member of the chair group of Environmental Technology, you are expected to participate in our educational activities and our applications for research grants.
The project is part of an EU Water-JPI project “RainSolutions”. You will be interacting and working with several international partners both within and outside of Europe.
Part of your work will be performed at Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions (AMS), at which you will be asked to work closely with various local stakeholders in Amsterdam to co-develop, apply and validate the knowledge and model you developed.
As Postdoc you are an ambitious, enthusiastic and creative scientist and a team player, devoted to research and education in the field of urban system modelling and analysis. You also have:
- A PhD degree in environmental science/technology/engineering, water resource management, geographical systems or related fields;
- advanced knowledge and expertise in hydraulics in urban infrastructure, geo-spatial analysis and related modelling/programming skills (e.g. Python);
- knowledge in physical/chemical/biological processes involved in urban water systems;
- experience in urban system or large environmental system modelling is a plus;
- a proven academic record, including publications and contributions to conferences;
- a talent to inspire PhD students and other researchers;
- an ability to collaborate and interact with societal stakeholders;
- ability in acquisition and proposal writing for getting research funding;
- excellent communication skills;
- didactic qualities and enthusiasm for teaching and working with students.
A challenging position with, depending on your experience, a competitive salary from a minimum of € 2709,-. to a maximum of € 4274,-. for a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Wageningen University (scale 10). In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural end-of year bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours that we determine together in good consultation;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes, e.g. the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra for extra leave;
- a flexible model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace on the Wageningen Campus;
- make use of the sports facilities on campus for a small fee.
Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal career opportunities and mobility with our internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for personal initiative in a learning environment. With us you get a versatile job in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
For more information about the contractual aspects, please contact mw. Joes van Meurs, HR advisor, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to apply?
This can be done directly via the application button at the vacancy on our website so that we can process your personal data with your permission. This vacancy is open until Monday July 20th 2020.
Equal opportunities employer
We are an employer that offers equal opportunities. We are happy to receive applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of race, gender, functional impairment, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive working environment makes us a more relevant, competitive and resilient organization. Click here for more information about working at WUR with a functional impairment.
The mission of our University is to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life. Within Wageningen University & Research, nine specialized research institutes from the Wageningen Research Foundation and Wageningen University have joined forces to help answer the most important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment.
With approximately 30 locations, 6,500 employees, and 12,000 students, it is one of the leading organizations in its domain worldwide. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of the unique approach of Wageningen. We have been named Best Employer in Education category 2019-2020.
Click here for more information about working at Wageningen University & Research.