Technical Officer (Geographic Information Systems/Remote Sensing and Geospatial Analysis)
The Climate, Biodiversity, Land and Water Department (CB) provides strategic direction and coordinates FAO's work on climate adaptation and mitigation, and the sustainable management of natural resources in order to raise profile, strengthen FAO's work, and enhance its capacity to address these issues in an effective and coordinated manner, and to contribute to ensuring the corporate environment needed for delivering the Organization's strategic objectives, core functions and organizational results.
The position will be located in the Geo-Spatial Information Systems Branch, CBDS with required travel for field missions, where relevant.
The Technical Officer reports to the Senior Environmental Officer. S/he will be required to work in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in the relevant countries of assignment, as well as the relevant FAO Regional office
Geographic Information Systems/Remote Sensing and Geospatial Analysis
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services.
• Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services;
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties;
• Assists in the coordination of programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Assists/supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Develops methodologies based on the integrated use of geospatial platforms and technologies to support FAO Strategic Programme Objectives (2) and (5); the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG); and the geospatial component of national projects (including under the Green Climate Fund);
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to decentralized offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Provides technical backstopping and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings and participate in meeting and conferences;
• Prepares project proposals with strong geospatial components and participate in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO corporate strategy;
• Supports the definition, implementation, use and outreach of standards related to Geospatial information;
• Supports the implementation of projects related to geospatial technologies;
• Contributes to capacity development plans on geospatial technologies, including preparation of training and workshop material;
• Prepares high-level technical and scientific reports on results achieved and innovation on the use of geospatial technologies;
• Supports the coordination of streamlined geospatial activities, systems and methodologies across FAO;
• Supports FAO engagement in the ISO Land Cover Meta Language process; and oversee development of a revised Land Cover ISO standard and a new ISO Standard for Land Use classification.
• Provides expert guidance on areal sampling frame design and sampling statistics, and support related initiatives (Geoglam, Sen4Stat);
• Provides Geospatial input and support to the Hand in Hand Inititiative and the Data Lab.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in natural resources, environmental sciences or related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in experience in analyzing land and water management including spatial data handling and analysis, satellite data processing and management, GIS and remote sensing applications
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Knowledge of natural resources assessment/management tools and methods;
• Extent and relevance of experience in analyzing land and water and related issues including land resources evaluation and/other natural resources studies, development of methodology in the field of agricultural/environmental monitoring and technical report writing and/or preparation of workshop and training materials;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the use of territorial development tools and methods, ecosystem assessment/management and geostatistical/spatial analysis for sustainable development;
• Knowledge of land cover FAO methodology will be an asset
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources;
• Demonstrated experience on standards related to geospatial information.