From heat waves to wildfires, drought and sea level rise, our climate is changing before our eyes. The quality of our air is getting worse, while toxic chemicals are showing up in our food, water and household products. These are serious environmental problems that affect the everyday lives of consumers, and yet public health and environmental protections are being rolled back. With our commitment to a fair and just marketplace, CR is now bringing its full power to address climate change and environmental issues in the marketplace and we’re looking for a creative and entrepreneurial person to lead the way.
In this new position, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively across the organization to build and execute a strategy to bend the curve of consumption toward a sustainable future. You will also help create common cause with young people and communities of color who will be our partners in change. And, you will have the opportunity to tap into the diverse assets of a nonprofit social enterprise to take a unique, consumer-facing approach to shape the marketplace and reduce or eliminate harms and inequities associated with the products and services people buy and use everyday, including impacts on consumer health, the economy, and the environment.
The Director will provide the vision, leadership, development, and coordination of strategies to influence demand, supply and policy. They will build and secure the strategic partnerships and financial investment needed to achieve our sustainability goals, in partnership with senior leadership, the development team, and colleagues from across the organization.
At Consumer Reports, we're building a diverse workforce that reflects our society, embraces new ways of thinking, celebrates a wide breadth of experiences, and reflects all of the audiences we serve. Inclusion means valuing the unique qualities of each staff member by creating an environment where everyone is valued. Our objective is simple: for all employees to feel supported and set up for success.
A cover letter and writing sample are required with resume submission.
What you will do
Lead the development of CR’s organization-wide strategy to drive a marketplace that prioritizes sustainability
- Build strategic and operational plans to scope, define and advance CR’s Sustainability strategy, including securing strong standards to prevent and reduce environmental and consumer harms and empowering consumers to take action to reduce their footprint.
- Partner across CR with an extensive network of internal stakeholders and leaders to advance work across multiple divisions and markets, building internal enthusiasm and buy-in for the initiative from staff and board.
- Develop and communicate progress on goals, milestones, and success metrics for the organizational sustainability strategy for multiple audiences.
- Engage with external stakeholders, including climate and sustainability experts, policymakers, NGOs, academia, and others to build partnerships to advance the work
- Partner with the Development team and senior CR leadership in the creation and execution of a strategy to build a substantial philanthropic investment in CR’s sustainability work.
- Serve as a Sustainability and policy spokesperson and thought leader for the organization, expanding CR’s influence and profile on the issue.
Lead the execution of CR’s transportation and product climate, energy, and environmental policy work
- Advance CR as an influential leader on related policy priority issues.
- Represent CR – and the interests of consumers by speaking at events, testifying before Congress, and communicating to the press and allies.
- Manage advocacy’s sustainability policy staff to achieve strategic impact goals.
- Using internal and external data and research, identify critical gaps and opportunities in consumer rights that can be addressed through marketplace and policy change.
corporations to influence their policies and practices in the best interests of consumers.
- Partner with CR’s Mobilization, Strategic Communications, and Marketing teams to advance consumer engagement through campaigns that champion the rights of consumers and achieve policy, regulatory, and marketplace victories.
- Identify, secure, and manage engagement with external coalitions and other non-profit organizations that add value and capacity to our work.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience building and managing programs, leading teams, and supporting development initiatives with a clear track record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s or JD degree preferred.
- A strategic mindset and a focus on problem solving.
- Subject matter expertise on climate solutions, clean energy, waste reduction or other sustainability-related issues. You understand the scale, nuance, market players, consumer behaviors, and political discourse surrounding the issues.
- Understanding of corporations, Congress and federal agencies.
- Experience with fundraising campaigns, pitching funders, and grant writing.
- An interest in CR’s theory of change: wielding Consumer Reports’ testing, content, advocacy, and membership to influence corporate and government power, and advance economic and social equality, and environmental sustainability.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple workstreams, learn quickly, and both collaborate and work independently and productively in a fast-paced and detail-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to lead through influence and effectively liaise with and motivate people with diverse professional backgrounds.
- Ability to forge trusted and productive working relationships with colleagues across the organization with grace, respect and diplomacy. Desire and commitment to partnering and trusting relationships with internal and external stakeholders.