WASH Civil Engineer
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in North West Aleppo both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The WASH Civil Engineer will be based in GOAL's office in Harem or Darkosh, Syria, reporting to the WASH Deputy Programme Manager and will be part of technical team who is responsible to develop technical studies and conducting needs assessments within programme's area of operation.
The WASH Civil Engineer is responsible for developing technical studies, schemes, BOQs, and all water projects technical documents under the supervision of the WASH DPM. This includes assessing all requirements or rehabilitation and maintenance of water networks (water modules, network pressure balancing, etc..). the WASH Civil engineer will be the key role for setting technical specification for all activities related to water network rehabilitation & expansion projects. Also, he will be responsible for developing contracts' terms to assure best quality services and materials will be provided. WASH Civil engineer will support implementation team to produce most possible effective water provision schedules to served communities.
Duties, objectives, and competencies
- Technically assist the WASH DPM to collect information and needs assessment for water networks.
- Assist WASH DPM to prioritize required water network rehabilitation and expansion projects to be conducted.
- Develop technical studies, schemes, and BOQs for water network projects starting from proposed needs by Water Units.
- Develop technical terms of all contracts, documents, and all formal agreements of civil and construction activities.
- Assist WASH DPM in preparing WASH purchase orders.
- Assist WASH DPM developing water networks maps and modules for all programme's area of operation. Forecast all required spare parts and materials for networks maintenance.
- In corporation with WASH site engineers, support Water Units to develop most possible effective water provision schedules.
- Support the WASH site engineers in supervision of implementing the civil works (rehabilitation of waters networks, water reservoirs and any civil construction works).
- Ensure that policies and guidelines as laid down in GOAL manuals and policies are always adhered.
- Ensure adherence to GOAL's Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy and standards of Integrity, as well as uphold GOAL's whistleblowing mechanisms.
- Ensure adherence to the financial guidelines as per the GOAL Financial Manual.
- Ensure compliance against all donor requirements, including timely quality reporting, as applicable to the project.
- Other related tasks at the request of the WASH DPM.
- Degree level qualification in Civil engineering.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in related field.
- Excellent experience and knowledge of water systems related networks (constructed reservoirs, pipes materials, networks accessories & valves, etc.).
- Excellent experience and knowledge of water networks balancing and modelling.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
- High level of computer skills (especially excel).
- English language skills (spoken and written).
- Good knowledge in Goal's working context area.
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/local organizations an advantage.
- Previous experience working with NGOs (WASH field) or public water and sanitation authorities a distinct advantage.
- High level of engineering designing programs (AutoCAD, Water CAD, GIS, etc.).
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Deadline to Apply: 08th July 2020.