WASH Data Officer
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in North West Aleppo both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The WASH Data Officer will be based in GOAL’s office in Azaz, Northwest Aleppo, Syria. He/she will report to the WASH Project Manager in Azaz supporting in managing all the program data. This position will support the WASH team in data collection and analysis, designing and managing a WASH database and the provision of analysed data for donor reporting and management.
Duties, objectives, and competencies:
- Administrating the WASH MIS in coordination with the field teams and WASH Antakya Officer, provide timely assistance and feedback to field teams on data issues and perform remedial action to address any data collection, entry and cleaning issues on the WASH Database.
- Provide oversight and technical support of WASH Project in Azaz to the WASH data team in Syria including ensuring data entry and cleaning is conducted on a regular basis, conducting analysis on data and presenting finding from data for internal and external Online reports
- Ensuring data collection tools are fit for purpose and providing revisions when necessary
- Support the WASH coordinator to populate donor reports with data.
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date information is maintained for WASH activities and that data generated through field activities is updated on a daily basis on centralized records and stored on the server
- Under the supervision of the WASH Manager in Azaz, work with WASH team , to ensure accurate beneficiary data is entered, stored and updated as required. This will include ensuring accurate disaggregation of beneficiary data, in line with GOAL and donor requirements
- Ensure regular and consistent updating of WASH beneficiary and assistance delivery via appropriate reporting software/platform through SQL and Power Bi.
- Generate summary statistics, and rapid and initial analysis and findings from WASH program SQL databases, M&E datasets and/or other sources of data to support data requests from WASH program and Grants teams.
- Contribute to developing the database and online system new tools as requested by the WASH Manager.
- Support the Antakya WASH team in administrative tasks, such as following timesheets for Water and Hygiene Units, and entering information in GOALs monitoring databases.
- Support the WASH team by coordinating with procurement, Logistic and HR teams
- Other related tasks at the request by the WASH Manager.
- Degree in Information Technology (IT) Engineering or proven experience in IT.
- Experience with IT (Information Technology), particularly database design and management.
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications including programming, SQL Management, power Bi, ARCGIS, KOBO, Commcare.
- Familiarity with digital data gathering platforms and software.
- Basic understanding of M&E principles, methodologies, data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Basic understanding of grant reporting for humanitarian donors.
- NGO experience in a humanitarian setting, especially WASH experience.
- Good understanding of water (especially water networks), sanitation and/ or solid waste management in the Syrian context.
- Fluency in Arabic.
- Good English language skills.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 8-Jul-20
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.