Waterspirit is seeking a passionate Public Policy and Justice Organizer to develop and implement public-focused advocacy campaigns that further the mission of Waterspirit, a nonprofit center for spiritual ecology headquartered in Rumson, New Jersey. An ideal candidate would be comfortable showing initiative to design, promote, and implement campaigns. This is a great opportunity for a self-starter who wishes to delve deeply into faith-based, intersectional environmental advocacy, who shows enthusiasm and a desire to stay informed about breaking developments in issue areas. Waterspirit is seeking candidates who display a commitment to articulating and enacting racial equity through campaigns and within our organizational culture.
Please note: Waterspirit is working remotely during the COVID-19 crisis. Candidates should have the ability to start this position remotely. Once it is safe to return to the office, the amount of in-office versus remote work time would be determined in conversation with the Executive Director.
Time commitment: This is a full-time, non-exempt position that may require travel as well as occasional night and weekend availability.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, brief writing sample, and resume or CV to . In your cover letter and resume please highlight your relevant experience, in particular with campaign organizing, faith-based advocacy and/or the environment. Ideally, writing samples will reflect these themes as well. Questions about this position may be directed to or to (732) 923-9788.
Deadline for Submissions: This position will remain open until filled.
- Identifying, designing, promoting, and implementing advocacy campaigns focused on ensuring clean, safe water for all.
- Developing intersectional, racial justice-focused campaigns that have a local impact while taking into account their sate-wide, national, and international contexts.
- Keeping informed of relevant campaign developments and adjusting quickly.
- Strengthening relationships with current collaborators (including Empower NJ and Rally for the Navesink) while seeking new connections.
- Creating ongoing opportunities for volunteer involvement in campaigns and attracting new volunteers.
- Curating relevant social media, website, and other media content in collaboration with the Waterspirit team. (You would have primary responsibility for crafting communications related to your campaigns.)
- Coordinating advocacy campaigns with programming and fundraising initiatives as appropriate.
- Collaborating with Waterspirit’s staff and assisting with other tasks as needed. Our small team often pitches in on whatever needs to be done, which may at times include duties not listed in this description.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Willingness to learn about and work from the mission and charism of Waterspirit as well as its parent organizations Peace Ministries, Inc. and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace.
- Commitment to spiritual ecology and social justice. Ability to articulate the connection between racial justice and environmentalism, and to use this focus to craft campaigns.
- Ability to form connections with and create content for diverse audiences in communities of different faiths, backgrounds, and ages.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in an environmental-, religion-, or public policy-related field.
- Experience in creating and implementing advocacy campaigns, preferably around environmental issues (especially water), racial justice, and/or faith-based advocacy. Comfort with digital organizing is a must!
- Strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Creativity, initiative, focus, determination, and a collaborative spirit.
- Availability to travel and to work occasional nights or weekends.
Waterspirit is a center of ecology and spirituality that informs, inspires, and enables all people to deepen their consciousness of the sacredness and interdependence of all creation with a focus on water as critical in sustaining all life. Waterspirit is a ministry of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace.
Waterspirit’s Core Values:
- Waterspirit values education, advocacy, and collaboration in promoting the individual transformation and systemic change needed to sustain water and all life on Earth.
- Waterspirit values the inclusion of all who seek to pursue a spirituality that deepens their connection with Earth and all her systems.
- Waterspirit, rooted in the Gospel and Catholic Social Teaching, stresses the importance of the right to clean, safe water for the poor and disadvantaged.
More information on our organization is available at www.waterspirit.org.