Executive Vice President (Global Programs)
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International is seeking an experienced, dynamic leader to bring vision, innovation, and passion to oversee the development and implementation of innovation, amplification, and break-through deals to achieve conservation at scale.
The Executive Vice President for Global Programs will spearhead the strategic, programmatic, and financial operations of CI’s centers of expertise including the Moore Center for Science, Center for Communities and Conservation, Center for Natural Climate Solutions, Center for Global Policy & Government Affairs, and Center for Sustainable Lands and Waters. These Centers collectively push for innovation and scaling of core conservation priorities and work closely with the field programs to support, learn from, and enhance our work in 30+ countries. The EVP will lead a large and diverse cross-section of staff with deep expertise in natural and social sciences, economics, and international policy and governance.
The EVP identifies, develops and implements standards and best practices to effectively marshal the organization’s resources to achieve results on a global scale and ensures the organization has the capacity, tools, resources and information needed to implement ground-breaking deals, initiatives and projects. In collaboration with the CEO and the executive committee of CI’s leadership team, the EVP leads CI’s mission, managing the deployment of an overall strategy and organizational structure and systems that drive for efficiency, high impact global solutions.
The successful candidate will be a visionary leader and communicator with proven success in leading multi-disciplinary teams and programs for conservation success. They will bring an entrepreneurial spirit combined with business acumen to lead and execute CI’s mission and strategy. This individual must bring a passion and appreciation for diverse perspectives, talents, and identities and work collaboratively and respectfully at all levels of CI, serving as a role model for CI’s core values.
- In collaboration with CI leadership, spearhead the development, communication, and implementation of effective strategies and processes to deliver on CI’s mission.
- In collaboration with CI leadership, ensure that CI has put in place all of the appropriate policies, practices, and systems required to optimize the use of its financial resources and monitor the allocation of resources to reflect priority needs and future potential.
- Work with the CEO, Board of Directors, Leadership Council, and other key partners and fundraisers throughout the organization to ensure the flow of funds needed for CI to make continuous progress towards the achievement of our mission.
- Play a leadership role in establishing the culture, alignment, and engagement of staff and ensuring that CI has the right mix of capabilities and experience
- Lead CI’s Centers of technical experts, by defining strategies and monitoring accountability for the development and achievement of measurable outcomes, assessing, and addressing the programmatic and operational performance of leadership and programs.
- Accountable for the overall administrative, financial, and staff leadership of divisions of approximately 100 team members and an average annual budget of $25 million and growing.
- Represent CI in forums and build partnerships needed to advance CI’s agenda, including multilateral agencies, government bodies, NGOs, private sector partners, and scientific agencies to achieve CI’s mission.
- Fundraise and secure gifts at the multi-million-dollar level.
- May serve as both advisor and deputy to the CEO, synthesizing, and channeling the perspective of the CEO to key decisions.
- The position is currently based in Arlington, Virginia.
- The position may require extensive international travel.
- The position requires the ability to work non-traditional and extended hours to support a global workforce in multiple time zones.
- Minimum of fifteen years related progressive management experience and Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of advanced degrees and experience.
- An experienced leader in conservation science with experience in one or more of the core geographies (Americas, Africa, or Asia Pacific).
- Successful track record in fundraising; corporate, foundation and individual giving, and ability to identify new revenue streams.
- Experience working with a board of directors and developing and supporting engaged and effective governance as well as experience working with a wide range of constituencies, from indigenous communities and NGOs to corporate leaders and heads of state.
- Ability to listen to and learn from the Board of Directors, donors, and staff, while bringing experience and perspective to further advance the organization, culture, and mission.
- Demonstrated ability to provide an inspiring, accessible, visible, and flexible leadership style that inspires trust, respect, and confidence and drives results.
- Multicultural competence to lead and manage others through a lens of diversity, equity and inclusion and ensure all aspects of diversity are leveraged in our teams and work.
- Proven experience building and motivating high performing teams, acting as a coach and mentor.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
- Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
- Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
- Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.