Head of WASH Infrastructure
Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world.
Through its new initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), Splash aims to reach 100% of government schools in Addis Ababa with full WASH coverage by 2023.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People - People first. People second. People third.
- Quality - Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The Head of WASH Infrastructure will lead a team of engineers and technical staff to manage the planning, construction, monitoring, and ongoing maintenance of water and sanitation infrastructure at hundreds of school sites across Addis Ababa. This person will be ultimately responsible for making sure that all phases of Splash’s infrastructure program (design, budgeting, hiring of contractors, and construction projects) are completed on time, within budget, and with the required quality. This will necessitate in-depth programmatic and financial planning and tracking, personnel and contractor management, collaboration with government technical experts, risk management, and conflict resolution. This person is also responsible for developing operational plans to meet Splash’s ongoing sustainability requirements for projects. This person will play a key role in hiring and training new staff to meet Splash program standards and quality.
- Create and oversee the design and execution of all infrastructure team work plans (logistics, contractor management, and procurement) for completion of infrastructure installations across over 70 school sites per year.
- Supervise all infrastructure team members including performance management and capacity building. Provide technical leadership for the hiring, training, and mentoring of all new infrastructure team hires.
- Serve as a key decision maker on contractor and vendor selection based on assessment of bids, capacity, reputation, and quality of past work.
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of all infrastructure program processes and equipment, and be a leader for innovation and improvement
- Collaborate and share knowledge with Splash team members in Addis, Kolkata, Nepal, and Seattle to support continuous learning and improvement.
- Work closely with key Operations Team members to support procurement, contractor management, and financial record keeping.
- Perform other duties as needs arise in the course of implementing the project.
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at the time of hire, then reviewed at least annually.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- BSc in Civil, Environmental, or Water Engineering, Construction Management, Business Management, Project/Program Management or other related fields (MSc preferred)
- At least 15 years of experience working on major construction and/or WASH projects; including at least 5 years of personnel and project management experience; urban experience strongly preferred.
- Highly proficient in team leadership, the project management, construction management, and WASH, conversant on current sector thinking related to major project management and delivery
- Ability to collaborate effectively with international and local staff, local implementation partners, contractors, government partners, and vendors
- Knowledge of water quality, water supply, sanitation design, and sustainability management
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office (required) and Project Management software
- Professional level of written and verbal fluency in English and Amharic
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES INCLUDE
- You are good at planning, prioritization, coordination. You can strike the right balance between being strategic and detailed oriented and moving work forward.
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness, and sound judgment.
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, good discretion/professionalism in conflict management, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, environment. You can create deadlines and stick to them.
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, understand complex project details, communicate effectively and responsively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and external constituents. You are keen to share information with subordinates, peers, and seniors.
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others.
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives.
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism.
- You have a good sense of value for money and cost optimization. You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve.