India nationals: Research Officer (Water Resources Management)
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) has an exciting opportunity for a Research Officer to provide scientific and technical support to our project portfolio in India dealing with water management, building climate resilience and climate-smart agricultural water management. Key responsibilities are supporting our researchers in the Indian office through support in planning and execution of relevant project activities and work plans, field visits, data collection and analysis, and ensuring stakeholder engagement aligns with national and regional priorities.
Reporting to the Country Representative - India, the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing and carrying out research for a range of projects in India.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Support the Researcher - Water Resources/Agricultural Water Management (India) and the Country Representative - India with the following tasks:
- Implement and carry out research for a range of ongoing projects in India on water resources, agricultural water management/irrigation, climate-smart agricultural water management, and building resilience to floods and droughts.
- Assist in collecting, managing and analyzing both spatial and non-spatial agricultural and hydrological data from projects.
- Assist projects in carrying out literature reviews on topics related to agricultural water management, climate-smart agriculture and hydrological modelling.
- Assist in the organization of events, workshops and conferences by preparing background analysis, concept notes and presentations.
- Draft project and research reports.
- Engage with key stakeholders in project implementation and dissemination of project outcomes to contribute to development goals.
- Produce articles for peer-reviewed publications.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Master’s degree in hydrology, water resources engineering, irrigation, soil and water engineering, or hydrogeology.
- At least 2 years of work experience in designing and conducting relevant field trials and/or hydrological modeling. We may reconsider the work experience for exceptional candidates, based on work carried out during master’s thesis and publication of final report.
- Strong knowledge of the soil-plant-water continuum, agricultural water management concepts and climate-smart agriculture demonstrated through fieldwork, course work and/or projects.
- Proven experience in the use of statistical tools for spatial or non-spatial data analysis.
- Proven expertise in surface water and/or groundwater modelling tools.
- A minimum of one publication drafted, submitted or published which illustrates relevant capabilities.
- Proven writing skills in English.
This is a nationally recruited position and only candidates who are eligible to work in India will be considered. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, inclusive of health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, and long-term disability coverage. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of 2 years with the possibility of extension.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, a cover letter that addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and emphasizes the importance of gender diversity and inclusiveness in identifying candidates for this position and its staff more generally.