WASH Project Manager
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in North West Aleppo both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The WASH Project Manager (PM) will be based across GOAL’s office’s in Azaz, northwest Aleppo, Syria. He/she will report to the WASH Coordinator based Turkey and to Programes Coordinator based in Syria. He/she also will line manage Azaz-based GOAL WASH staff (including engineers, data team, community liaison team, hygiene promotion team and lab team), working in close coordination with Camps Management and Local Councils/Municipalities.
The WASH PM is responsible for supporting the WASH Coordinator in the planning, implementation and reporting of GOAL’s WASH activities in Northern Syria. This includes the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of water networks and supply of water; implementation and facilitating sanitation management; coordination of solid waste management; rehabilitation of collective centres; and the promotion of hygiene. The WASH PM will support and advise the WASH Coordinator on the development of the WASH programme and ensure coordination, planning, monitoring and management of WASH programme activities. This will involve working closely with partners and stakeholders (in particular, Camps management and Local Councils) and with GOAL’s M&E team to ensure timely and effective monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities and impact. The WASH PM will be responsible for day-to-day project implementation and for ensuring that the programme effectively and efficiently achieves its objectives in accordance with GOAL’s guidelines and principles and donor requirements.
Duties, objectives, and competencies:
- Develop detailed activity plans in line with the WASH programme objectives, ensuring that those activity plans are implemented, and any expected delays and / or modifications are communicated and discussed in a timely manner with the WASH Coordinator.
- Monitor the WASH project performance in terms of outputs against activity plans and take all-necessary action, in association with the WASH Coordinator, to ensure the project achieves its objectives within the allotted time and budget and to quality;
- Contribute to the design of new WASH projects and proposal development; ensuring these are informed by an accurate understanding of priority needs and gaps in GOALs areas of operation;
- Improve the quality of services provided through support supervision of key staff, analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt, and review of GOAL and other best practice guidelines;
Leadership and coordination:
- Direct management of GOAL staff assigned to WASH project, including staff seconded to WASH partners, including ensuring that all staff have clearly defined job descriptions, work plans and understand their responsibilities;
- Ensure effective coordination, information sharing and liaison with WASH and other actors operational in GOAL areas, identifying opportunities for complementarity and reducing the risk of duplication;
- Coordination with the Area Management Team in Azaz on the WASH programmes needs in relation to support from Logistics, Finance, HR and security.
- Prepare weekly reports and share it with Area Management and the WASH Coordinator.
- Work with water units to enhance their reporting skills.
- Participate in Donor reporting (monthly, quarterly and final) as requested by the WASH coordinator.
- Work closely with WASH project partners to ensure project objectives and activity plans are clearly understood and adhered to, and that agreed roles and responsibilities are met by GOAL and partners;
- Identify staff and partner capacity building requirements and work with the WASH Coordinator and other team members to design and deliver effective training, mentoring and other activities to address identified capacity gaps.
- Prepare procurement plans with the support of the WASH Coordinator.
- Conduct weekly meeting with procurement team in Azaz to follow up the statues of all WASH procurement.
- Liaise with the WASH Coordinator and procurement department in Antakya to ensure that there are no delays in procuring and delivering to the field site WASH materials needed for the programme.
- Coordinate with the M&E team to ensure the development and implementation of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems as well as on community feedback mechanisms.
- Travel frequently to project locations to directly monitor WASH project activities, ensuring clear feedback is provided to field staff and / or partners on necessary changes or improvements required to ensure project activities meet stated objectives and deliver maximum benefit to targeted beneficiaries.
- Ensure that policies and guidelines as laid down in GOAL manuals and policies are adhered to at all times;
- Ensure adherence to GOAL’s Code of Conduct, Safe Gaurding and Child Protection Policy and standards of integrity, as well as uphold GOAL’s whistleblowing mechanisms.
- Ensure appropriate HR planning, training and resource allocation as required for the successful implementation of programme objectives.
- Ensure adherence to the financial guidelines as per the GOAL Financial Manual.
- Ensure compliance against all donor requirements, including timely quality reporting, as applicable to the project.
- Any other related tasks requested by the WASH Coordinator.
- Degree level qualification in Civil Engineering, or other related engineering discipline.
- At lease 2 years experience in WASH programme including water and sanitation provision, hygiene promotion, and camps management in the Syrian context.
- At lease 5 years experience of programme implementation.
- Minimum 2 years NGO experience in a humanitarian setting, especially WASH in camps
- Experience of staff management and capacity development.
- Budgetary control and financial management skills.
- Fluency in Arabic and English language skills (spoken and written)
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work when under pressure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
- Proposal and Report writing experience.
- Excellent computer literacy, especially with excel.
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in Azaz, north-northwest Aleppo, Syria.
- Previous experience working with public water and sanitation authorities and camps management.
- High level of engineering designing programs (AutoCAD, Water CAD, GIS, etc.)
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organisations an advantage.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 06 June 2020.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.