Vice President of Model Development (Climate Change and Variability Modelling)
Objective of the Role
RMS is currently recruiting for a senior position related to the modelling of risk due to Climate Change and Climate Variability. The role will apply the latest climate science and modeling to address industry issues surrounding how changes in the global climate system have implications for risk management.
The modelling work carried out by the team encompasses all steps from climate science R&D, mathematical modelling and data science, to the quantification of impacts for portfolios of assets exposed to climate risk. The model development department has an engaged working environment with a clear and motivated scientific and technological culture.
Key Responsibilities & Deliverables:
- Develop, resource, plan, and coordinate RMS’ Climate Change and Variability modelling efforts.
- Grow and manage RMS’ Climate Change and Variability modelling team.
- Understand in depth and keep current with the latest scientific findings on Climate Change and Variability from the scientific literature and remain closely connected to Academia and Industry.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with product management, software, pre-sales and sales teams to maintain and expand RMS’ thought leadership and ensure highest product quality and client experience.
- Operate as a subject matter expert and provide client support for RMS’ Climate Change and Variability modelling initiatives and products.
- Oversee and contribute to the implementation of the latest scientific findings and modeling methodologies of Climate Change and Variability into RMS’ climate risk models.
- PhD in a relevant subject (e.g. Climate Science, Atmospheric Science, Hydrology, Water Resources or closely related areas).
- Research experience with, and deep understanding of climate processes and their variability including Climate Change.
- Strong mathematical foundation with focus on physics-based and numerical modelling of natural systems, as well as mathematical statistics and probability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities and deadlines and to work independently in a highly dynamic and diverse environment with multiple concurrent goals and with a diverse team of scientists and engineers.
- Proven success in developing sophisticated climate catastrophe models using advanced mathematical, statistical, and engineering tools.
- Extensive experience working with large and complex datasets.
- Strong ability in modelling languages (e.g. R, Python, Julia), and modern systems of scientific repeatability and engineering scalability (e.g. GitHub).
- Experience with high-performance clusters and strong user skill in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively insights and analytical results both internally and with external business partners.
- Excellent time management and planning skills with a commitment to delivery.
- Driven and committed, demonstrating initiative and self-motivation.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail and intense curiosity.
- Familiarity with and interest in the Financial Services business domain, and particularly in Re/Insurance and related financial markets.
- Familiarity and interest in state-of-the-art modelling methods including AI and ML.
- Willingness to pursue continued education in support of the role and team goals.
Please provide your CV highlighting the salient education and experience, and a Cover Letter demonstrating how these meet the requirements of the position.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Risk Management Solutions (RMS) is the world's leading provider of mathematical models and information related to the financial impact of natural catastrophes. Our Model Development department has over fifty Ph.D. scientists and engineers based in London, building mathematical models that predict the distributions of possible damage due to the effects of tropical storms, extra-tropical storms, thunderstorms, storm-surges, and freshwater floods.
We use a combination of observations, reanalysis data, numerical, statistical and engineering models. We are the pioneers in the development and application of combined statistical and numerical modelling methods for the quantification of natural hazard risk, and our models are the most detailed and comprehensive models of natural catastrophes produced anywhere in the world.
Our clients include several hundred insurance and reinsurance companies as well as brokers, banks, asset managers, hedge funds, regional and local governments, and multilateral agencies.
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.